Wont recognize my SATA hard disk

danielpsx

12 posts in this topic

Ive been trying to install OSX on a partition on my PC's second hard drive, both of the hard drives are the exact same model. I was not able to install it on either one. I tried the JaS 10.4.8 but then read on this forum that it wasnt till 10.4.9 that it didnt recognize the SATA so i tried the Uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r2 and it doesnt see any of the hard drives. I tried formatting one to FAT 32 using acronis via XP and leaving it blank. I really wanna set up OSX to my pc, so ne help would b appreciated :)

My PC specs are:

EVGA 680i Nforce Motherboard

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 processor

2x Barracuda SATA 320GB Hard Drives

2gb G.Skill DDR2 RAM

Nvidia 7600gs 512mb Video Card

I suspect the problem has more to do with the NForce chipset of your motherboard. They are not the most compatible of the bunch. Most all releases, at least from 10.4.4 and above, can install on SATA drives just fine. Your video card will need its rom flashed to get qe and ci working so you can really make use of OSX. I have a similar card and it works great. The rest of your system seems fine also. If you could invest in an inexpensive MB with an Intel chipset, you would be much better off. Does you MB have an extra IDE connector that would allow you to try your SATA drive with an adapter?

unfortunately no, the only one it has is being used for 2 dvd drives. All my equipment is basically brand new, heh, i was planning on hookin pro tools onto it, but apperantly i wont be able to :P , but.. basically the chipset is not letting OS X to grab onto the SATA drives?? hmm, i wouldnt wanna change my mobo since its a really good mobo at least for what i use it which is gaming, sound and more, but guess it wont b as easy :P is there nething you suggest for me to try? would be great to have it all on the same machine :P

thx for the help : :(

Search, man!

I'm not aware of anybody's installer that will recognize your 680i SATA disks. To make matters worse, if you did have an installer that had the nForce SATA driver, AppleNForceATA kext, the 680i SATA controller isn't supported yet. Reads kind of work, writes don't and they'll screw up your disk. I couldn't even get PATA to work how I wanted it to on my 680i. I ended up ditching the motherboard for something more supported.

Well, I have a similar problem. On my computer, my hard drive isn't detected either. I've went through 10.4.8 and 10.4.10, and still have no avail. Going through my BIOS, I can't switch my Hard drive to IDE or anything of that sort. I've read somewhere that it's possible to slave your hard drive as a CD Drive and install Mac OS X that way. Not sure, just wondering though. Having a little bit of trouble.

Hardware:

Maxtor SATA 100 GB HDD

ASUS Amberine A8LE mobo

ATI X800

2 GB Corsair XMS

AMD X2 4200+

I had same problem with EVGA motherboard with 680 chipset, couldn't even get install to work with IDE drive and nothing else connected. Install works fine but after initial reboot, all I get is a kernel panic, still trying differnt driver options. If anyone knows a good working driver set up for the 680i chipset please let me know, if I finally get to reboot I'll give the details.

I'm on basically the same setup, same mobo, 7900 card. I would say it's not a great board to get for OS X. I never got ethernet to work, and had to buy an add-in card. The sound works with the Azalia drivers. The video works fine and supports QE etc. However I've had a devil of a time finding a good OS X release to install. I did have some initial luck with the JAS SSE2/SSE3 10.4.8 release. My DVD media has now become unstable so I'm playing around with formatting one partition on the HD as an installer partition and installing from there. I tried the NForce4SATA package but it doesn't work well, so as far as I know SATA is currently not an option with this mobo. IDE works fine for me, and installation seems to work best with the installer as master on the IDE channel. The uphuck installs, in particular, are problematic for me; I've tried a dozen different install configurations and I get an almost instant reboot after installing. Someone mentioned you have to install Titan drivers; I will make sure I was installing those.

• 2 months later...

so, i have the EVGA 680iSE SLI

I managed to install uphuck 1.3 on my SATA drive by plugging it into a SATA ot USB adapter. Its the only way disk util would recognize the drive. Using disk util to jounal the drive on USB whiped out everything AFTER the osx partiton, corrupted my vista install on the previous partition, and left my logical partition untouched.

After the second time i installed 1.3 (with nForce SATA AND Jmicron drivers it would try to boot off the internal sata) (the first install ALMOST nothing happened on boot up) i was able to get the Darwin boot loader running, it recognized the other partitions on the disk as potential bootables, and it didnt recognize my other drive (which has XP safely installed on it along with all my important files)

Upon trying to boot from the osx partition, i quickly would geta kernel panic about CPU 0 [hold down power key etc] or somtehing to that effect.

At this point i tried disabling the second core of my duo, which did not help a bit.

Then i DL'd partition magic to make a new partition and try again (i had been using diskpart under XP or vista previous to that)

well, partition magic said that my entire HDD was "bad" even tho xp was still reading the windows partitions fine.

The second time i launched PM it said there were disk errors, and graciously offered to fix them. Well now the my install of osx that was on there is all effed up, so i wanted to install it on a new partition and try again.

So, following some advice i read, i made a partititon of about 10gigs and left it unformatted, and unlabeled.

I set it as active, plugged the drive into the usb again, and when i went to boot of the disk i got com.apple.drives.plist or something error.

I rebooted to teh CD and hit anykey instead of letting the counter time out, and it loaded the kernel off the disk, and now it sits with a blue screen, doing nothing.

I tried a disc of 1.4i that i have (scratched up, burned at wrong speed) and it does the same thing.

so is 680i basically a no go? should i DL the latest JAS and forget about Uphuck for now?

im really pissed off at myself because when i built this computer i was fully intent on trynig to run osx86, but i bought ever bit of hardware to make that impossible at this point, including an nVidia 8600gt

thanks for reading, hope some one has some input, or they atleast launch uphuck 1.8 soon ;)

• 1 year later...