Confused noob.

Richbeast

3 posts in this topic

:( :censored2: :censored2: Sorry i had to do that :P

For the last 2 day's i've been trying to make Mac OS X working fully on my computer here my specs before I start

NVidia Geforce PCX 5300 ( I guess it's FX5300 on a Pci-e slot )

Intel Pentium 4 HTT 3.00 ghz

512 Meg Ram

Huge Hard Drive ( I don't think it's sata ata or something like that ) IDE if i'm correct?

Via Rhine Ethernet card ( I didn't try internet connection yet but i know it will work because i got the right drivers for it )

Wireless D-Link WBR-2310 ( No chance on making that work )

So far i don't really care about making the internet work , i'm working on it ( the cable ) .

But first let me ask what version of Mac OS X should i get for this configuration I mean

I've tried JaS 10.4.8 Intel AmD SSE SS3 PFF PPF2 and Uphuck 10.4.9 V.1.4i R2 ( I couldn't find R3 on the hinthint sites.... maybe I missed one....... )

Both of those gave me some strange errors , I know that JAS 10.4.8 worked fine on my computer but because i don't have the right video card drivers the screen is glitchy as hell . I tried Uphook and i couldn't even boot it correct it makes a Still Looking for root device or something like that. When i launch it with the dvd it shows the restart the computer error... I'm desperate lol.

I've tried Titan and Natit ... both of them puts my screen in blank . Maybe i don't have the correct driver

But i tried Uphuck and I want it to work because of Rosetta and the possibilty to install PPC programs if i'm correct. I can barely install some programs in Mac because of my lack of knowledge I don't even know how install .kext file .... I would need some help on this one to make my Video card , and uphuck work and maybe there is a tutorial about .kext files.

But if you think i should get Jas instead and find some tutorial about installing rosetta just tell me so I want the best for my computer

Thanks for your help :)

P.S I'm dual-booting with XP don't say it dosn't work it does. I have installed Os Selector.

First off you need to double check your video card, far as I can remember no one has mentioned a GeForce PCX card. It's similar but not quite the same as as an FX 5000 series.

As for dual booting, a bit of advice, I'd install OS X on a separate hard drive, at least initially at first. Even if you use OS selector or whatever, last thing you want to do is break XP when you didn't need to. Once you get it working you can always clone the OS X drive into a partition on your main drive or just chain0 boot. (that's what I do)

If you can try to find out more info about your motherboard too. Install CPUZ it can tell you what motherboard you have.

Also, buy more RAM. OS X is very very hungry for RAM and with only 512MB you'll be itching for more.

I originally used the JaS 10.4.8 DVD, there's apparently issues with the Drive Utility on that version. I now use uphuck 10.4.9 1.3 universal. I occasionally go back to JaS for some packages like printer drivers.

If you're serious about getting OSX86 running be prepared to spend some money. It's sometimes easier to replace/upgrade hardware than to try and get something else working. Especially if you're not really comfortable with hacking apart the drivers to get your existing hardware to work. Alot of it can be simple alot of it can be a pain in the neck and waste of time.

In your case, you may want to invest in a cheap GeForce 6 series PCI-E card and 512MB more of RAM. I know the 6 series works well, (5 series too, but 5 series was originally AGP, my 5200 AGP [work computer] and my 6600 PCI-E [home] work just by simply installing Titan that's it nothing else.

Thank you for your response

As far as I'm concerned the PCX card is a branch of the FX card maybe because it is the pci-e version of it they called it PCX , it's a guess though it's still a 5300 but on the PCI-e maybe that's why titan does not work =/

The thing is , I don't have money to spend on that , i'm very young and couldn't get a job this summer so , I Know that i'm planning into getting a new memory stick but the graphic card is going to come much later lol .

Here's a more detailled information about the computer ( Keep in mind that i'm install mac for fun I just want to try it out be able to use Itunes , internet and some mac programs , I got bored of windows somehow lol )

Processor:

Pentium 4 530 ( prescott ) ( has SSE , SSE2 , SS3 . ) 3ghz

1 core , 2 threads

Mainboard

Micro-star International Co. LTD ( have no idea about that ) Model - MS-7046

Chipset : Intel i915P/i915G

Bios :

Pheonix Technologies LTD

Ver 6.00 PG

Simplified info :

NVidia Geforce PCX 5300 ( I guess it's FX5300 on a Pci-e slot )

Intel Pentium 4 HTT 3.00 ghz

512 Meg Ram

Huge Hard Drive ( I don't think it's sata ata or something like that ) IDE if i'm correct?

Via Rhine Ethernet card ( I didn't try internet connection yet but i know it will work because i got the right drivers for it )

Wireless D-Link WBR-2310 ( No chance on making that work )

C-Media audio ( works well on mac )

If someone can recommand me the settings , and the setup I need to make it run , i would be glad

Thank you