Help installing VIDEO and NETWORK

Troy

2 posts in this topic

I have a Dell optiplex 745, which has a Broadcom 57xx NIC and a x1300 ATI pci/e video card

I have suceesfully so far installed base JAS 10.4.8. Attempted Uphuck 10.4.10r2 with no luck, black screen after grey loading screen.

Anyhow have attempted instructions for Broadcom NIC found here -> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry73971 but cannot seem to get anywhere. Can someone point me to some instructions on how to configure NIC cards in OSX. Can't seem to find my way around the control panels as not many options seem to be available. The ethernet does appear in my list however says the cable is unplugged which is incorrect as I have link lights. Presume driver issue.

Also tried using ATI installer found here -> http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/index.html

performed install then repaired disk permissions as advised then rebooted. Got to grey apple loading screen then blackness and nothing further. There was mention when installing the ATI driver that I may need to modify the kext to add my device id to the info.plist. I'm lost on where to find this info, any pointers to find how to do this would be great.

Also I'm finding this driver testing extremely painful and time consuming as when the screen goes blank in bootup as in the video card example above all I know of what to do it to perform a start from scratch reinstall of the OS. Is the a rollback way of getting the system back up with having to perfrom a whole reinstall?

Cheers

Troy

Network: If you don't use this method and put the AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext somewhere else (e.g. on the Desktop), with the correct permissions, can you do a successful kextload? I have dealt with this card and I had to use kextload after the OS was up to get it to work.

sudo kextload /wherever/you/put/it/AppleBCM5701Ethernet.kext

Video: My guess would be that you have a monitor configuration issue. Depending on the types of monitors you have on, it might have a resolution that is out of range. Try one monitor to start, try the other header if it doesn't work. This might mean that you'll need a VGA monitor if you're using a DVI, or a DVI to VGA adapter if your using a VGA. Plug and play verse non-plug and play can make a difference too, so just experiment.

If you put the -s bootflag on at boot you will boot into the equivalent of the terminal. You can use rm -rf your.kext and you should be able to boot without any graphical enhancements, but try different configs first.

Stevo