What murdered my 10.4.10 install?

fruktsallad

5 posts in this topic

So I basically had a perfectly working Hackintosh up and running. To get there I used Uphuck's 1.4i and then patched up to 10.4.10 using the fixed update floating around. Had a few problems with the update - it claimed to have failed and upon retrying the whole computer froze. After a forced reboot everything was fine though, and About This Mac happily reported 10.4.10. That was the day before yesterday.

Yesterday I fired my machine up, installed a few apps, rebooted and then *BOOM!* -No more mr Hackintosh. What happens is that I'm presented with the usual Darwin boot loader countdown, which after the count is over blazingly fast displays some error message and then kicks me back to the boot loader selection menu. This happens whether I try both -f or -v. Instantaneously sends me back. I don't even have time to read the error message, but other people with similar trouble are reporting a

"Error parsing plist fileLoading Darwin/x86"

However, as of yet I'm not sure this is actually the error I'm getting - I won't be able to check it until I get back from work.

I'm wondering what could have caused this error, and if you guys (and girls) know of a fix.

After my last working boot I did this:

* I installed iLife '08 and fooled around a bit. Worked great.

* I also (foolishly, I know) tried to install Adobe CS3 through the network from an image on my MacBook, which failed when my gf closed the lid on the little sucker. Had to force quit the installer.

* I then repaired disk permissions and rebooted.

Now, to me, it seems unlikely that any of the above would actually be able to kill off my installation, but that's basically all I did during that session. And now I'm Hackintosh-less. What to do? I'm REALLY not very interested in doing Yet Another Re-Installation. :unsure:

After my last working boot I did this:

* I installed iLife '08 and fooled around a bit. Worked great.

* I also (foolishly, I know) tried to install Adobe CS3 through the network from an image on my MacBook, which failed when my gf closed the lid on the little sucker. Had to force quit the installer.

* I then repaired disk permissions and rebooted.

I'd say the latter. I did a similar upgrade to 10.4.10 like you had iLife and iWork 08 installed and uninstalled, no problem.

Installing a heavy and also system heavy package like CS3 and interrupting install with a cold boot doesn't sound healthy to me.

Installing a heavy and also system heavy package like CS3 and interrupting install with a cold boot doesn't sound healthy to me.

Probably not. :P

I never had a chance to see what error message I was getting - it just kept flashing by. Guess I'll never find out what caused it. What I did was I simply fired up VMWare (I've got a P5K without AHCI, so booting the DVD is messy) and reinstalled 10.4.9. Now, maybe I'm ignorant, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see OSX boot up just fine after that - all settings and apps were intact. Wicked! :D

Probably not. :P

I never had a chance to see what error message I was getting - it just kept flashing by. Guess I'll never find out what caused it. What I did was I simply fired up VMWare (I've got a P5K without AHCI, so booting the DVD is messy) and reinstalled 10.4.9. Now, maybe I'm ignorant, but I was really pleasantly surprised to see OSX boot up just fine after that - all settings and apps were intact. Wicked! :smoke:

so it probably did an upgrade onto 10.4.10 I would think and fixed your system problems. neat