10.4.6 not starting

ank14

10 posts in this topic

Im new to all this so bare with me.

I just finished installing 10.4.6 and it asked me to restart the computer. So I did but I didnt see anywhere if it told me to take out the disk or not. Anyways I have tried both with it in the drive and without it and it doesnt seem to be working. When I have the disk in the drive it boots up again and basically reads all these files on my screen really fast and restarts the computer. It pretty much does this on a loop. If I were to take out the cd all I get is this "-$" not sure what that is exactly I must have did something wrong in the setup. If someone can please help me, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Probably, but I'll explain it to you anyway. :P

When the DVD has completely loaded, go to the bar across the top of your screen and select "Utilities". Then, go to "Disk Utility". Wait for the installation to gather information about your HD and partition setup. When it is complete, you should see your HD as well as any volumes (partitions) you may have under it.

From what you're saying, it sounds like you have two: one for OSX, and the other for another operating system. This is the most common setup, anyhow. If you have a different setup, tell me, but the basics remain the same. Clear out the OSX volume as we want to reinstall, and make sure that when you're erasing the VOLUME (not the entire HD), that you format using Mac OS X (Journaled) and that you give it more than 8GB of space to work with.

After you've done this, proceed with the installation normally, and make sure you pay close attention to the packages. ONLY install a package for the hardware you have, nothing more. Also, if you have an Intel processor, select anything relating to Intel and if you have an AMD processor, check off anything related to AMD. Make sure you also select the package labeled "loginwindow" if it is available, as that fixes some minor errors while attempting to launch OSx86.

Get back to me if you have any questions or issues and we'll see if anything helped.

And try to get me those screenshots, please! :D

Absolutely not. :)

You can install all updates but the 10.4.9 update and the AirPort update. Both of these updates are likely to cause you a major headache, so until a reliable cracked version comes out, I'd steer away from them for a bit longer. Nice call bringing that up. lol

A couple of other users appear to have this problem. Try seeing if this temporary solution helps you. Start by removing the DVD from your drive, of course.

Load the one-time boot menu from your BIOS, as Mega Man said. When your computer is booting up right at the beginning, you'll need to press a certain key to access the menu. It'll say what key you need to press, usually in the top-right corner of the screen. For me, I need to press F12 because I have a Dell Laptop. After you get into the menu, you'll have the option to boot from your HD. If you are using more than one HD, select the one you have installed OSx86 on, and you should be taken to the Darwin boot loader and launch into OSX soon afterward.

And get back to me on what occurred.