Grey-Echo

4 posts in this topic

=====================

DELL LATITUDE D800 - OSx86

=====================

This guide is for installing MAC OS X 10.4.8

Created by £cho

Important System Specs:

(First check to see if your computer has anything of the following in common with mine!)

Processor - Intel Pentium M (2.1GHz)

Memory - 2GB RAM

* Video - nVidia GeForce FX Go5650

Audio - Sigmatel (N/A)

* Networking - Broadcom NetLink 57xx

* Wireless Networking - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG (Integrated)

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

SYSTEM PROFILER INFORMATION

(Directly from OSX and for informational purposes only!)

HARDWARE

----------

ATA - Native. Full Support.

Audio - Not Recognized, but native.

Bluetooth - Native. Full Support.

Diagnostics - N/A.

Disc Burning - Native. Full Support.

Fibre Channel - N/A; no devices found.

FireWire - N/A; detected.

* Graphics/Displays - Native. Partial Support.

Memory - Native. Full Support.

PC Cards - N/A; no devices found.

Parallel SCSI - N/A; no devices found.

Power - Native. Full Support.

Printers - Not native. Drivers for individual printers needed post-installation.

SAS - N/A; no devices found.

Serial-ATA - N/A; no devices found.

USB - Native. Full support for nearly all USB devices on the market.

Network

--------

* AirPort Card - N/A; no devices found. Integrated wireless card can be activated as a substitute, however.

Firewall - N/A; no devices found.

Locations - Native. Full support.

* Modems - Not native. No modem devices found. No solution at this time. Integrated Ethernet can be activated as a substitute, however.

Volumes - N/A; no devices found.

Software

---------

Applications - Full support for nearly all OSX applications.

Extensions - Full support for nearly all OSX extensions.

Fonts - Full support.

Frameworks - Full support for core frameworks.

Logs - Full support.

Preference Panes - Full support.

Startup Items - Full support for applications that are fully supported.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

FIXES AND HOW-TO'S

*** Graphics/Displays - nVidia GeForce FX Go5650 ***

By default, the card is recognized and supported with core features. You aren't able to change your resolution from 1024 x 768 and no refresh rates are available if you're using the laptop's built-in monitor. With an external monitor, you are able to do a lot more. To get more features and allow for PowerPC game support, as well as a whole bunch of other stuff, follow the steps below.

1) Download the Titan Installer: http://www.mediafire.com/?2dtu4moqw2j

2) After downloading, OSX will detect a new virtual package, open it up, and run the installation for you.

3) Before continuing, close all other applications.

6) Navigate your way through the wizard, which means pressing "Install" or "Continue" a whole lot.

7) When prompted, authenticate yourself with your password.

8) When the installation completes, the installer will ask to reboot. Do so normally.

9) When booting back into OSX, you may notice that the resolution has changed.

9) After the reboot, go into System Preferences and to Displays. You should have many more options to choose from. If everything went as planned, you should now have full graphical support for your graphics card.

WARNING:

After installing, make sure you DO NOT change the resolution settings. Doing so will result in a non-responsive OSx86 installation after a reboot. There is no solution to this issue at this time, so just make sure you don't go changing those settings. You should be happy with whatever you get anyway, to be honest, as it picks the resolution best for viewing on your computer.

*** AirPort Card - Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG ***

Now everyone is going to tell you that it's impossible to get this working and that folks have been working on it forever. The last part of that is true, but the truth is, it's already possible. While obviously there's no AirPort Card to be found, there is an integrated wireless card found in the D800, and it can be used in OSX if you know what you're doing. Fortunately, I do, so if you follow the following directions, you should be okay.

1) Download the IWIDARWIN package: http://iwidarwin.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/...200/iwi2200.dmg

2) After downloading, OSX will detect a new virtual package, open it up, and run the installation for you.

3) Before continuing, close all other applications.

6) Navigate your way through the wizard, which means pressing "Install" or "Continue" a whole lot.

7) When prompted, authenticate yourself with your password.

8) When the installation completes, the installer will ask to reboot. Do so normally.

9) After the reboot, go into System Preferences and to Network. You should also notice a new icon in the top-left corner of your screen.

10) Network will detect the new device and prompt you if you'd like to use it. Naturally, comply with that request.

11) The wireless card will be named something along the lines of "PCI Ethernet Slot pci8086,4223", but we all know what it really is.

10) Go to Show and select "PCI Ethernet Slot pci8086,4223" from the click-menu.

11) Set up all of your settings. If you don't know what they are, just leave everything alone.

12) Click the "Ethernet" tab.

13) Go to Configure and select "Manually (Advanced)" from the click-menu.

14) Make sure the Maximum Packet Size (MTU) is set to it's default; Standard (1500), unless you're using DSL, in which case you know what changes to make, I hope.

15) Apply the changes and close Network.

16) Click the new icon in the top-left corner of your screen, and click "Set Power ON".

17) Then - we're still in the little menu that has appeared under the new icon - move your mouse over "Available Networks" and if there's a network in the area, it'll be detected.

18) I recommend another clean and normal reboot after connecting to a network. You now have a fully-operational integrated wireless card.

*** Modems - Broadcom NetLink 57xx ***

While the integrated modem isn't found (who still uses that anyway), we can still use a normal Ethernet connection to get to the internet, especially if your D800 didn't come with an integrated wireless card for whatever reason. It's not nearly as hard to do as some of this other stuff, not that any of the things I've talked about so far are really that hard, let's be honest here. Anyhow, follow the steps below to activate it.

1a) Download and unpack AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?8mzmtqmynjz

1b) Remove the Ethernet cable attached to your computer if it is attached.

2) Copy AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext to your /System/Library/Extensions/ folder.

3) Open up Terminal and type the following commands in:

sudo -s

After pressing Enter/Return, proceed to type in your password.

After that, set permissions by typing the following. Remember, these are two separate commands here.

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

7) Exit Terminal and any other programs you may have open.

8) Reboot normally.

9) After reboot, go to System Preferences, then Network.

10) Go to Show and select "Built-in Ethernet" from the click-menu.

11) Set up all of your settings. If you don't know what they are, just leave everything alone.

12) Click the "Ethernet" tab.

13) Go to Configure and select "Manually (Advanced)" from the click-menu.

14) Go to Speed and select "100baseTX" from the click-menu.

15) Go to Duplex and select "full-duplex, flow-control" from the click-menu.

16) Make sure the Maximum Packet Size (MTU) is set to it's default; Standard (1500), unless you're using DSL, in which case you know what changes to make, I hope.

17) Apply changes and exit Network.

18) Plug-in your Ethernet cable again. Go back into System Preferences and Network to make sure the light is green, not red. You may have to wait a few seconds for this to occur.

19) After you've confirmed you can connect to the Internet properly, I recommend another reboot to make sure everything is saved properly.

20) Enjoy! You're ready to go.

Well, that's my guide. I hope this helps anyone that may have a Dell Latitude D800 or a similar model and/or hardware, as most of the steps are the same. If you have any comments, questions, suggestions, or complaints, feel free to post here about them and I'll be sure to get back to you. I'll probably be supporting this guide for a long time, at least a couple months, so I should be able to help anyone who needs it. Thanks for reading, everyone - and enjoy!

V.1.2

Another update to the graphics card information. Full support as of right now, just a minor issue with the resolution settings that is yet to be resolved. I'll keep everyone updated.

V.1.3

I've also added support for the Dell Inspiron 8600.

• 2 months later...

Do you have any tips for getting Quartz Extreme (QE) and Core Image (CI) going on the FX 5650 graphics card?

I get this:

NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce FX Go5650

Type: Display

Bus: AGP

VRAM (Total): 128 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x031b

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200