Slackware 12 Kernel Recompile

Mega Man

5 posts in this topic

Hello.

I've tried compiling the 2.6.9 and the 2.6.22 kernels. I've followed the directions and they won't work. Here are my computer's specs.

First of all, at installation, it doesn't prompt me to install a kernel. It automatically installs 2 generic kernels and 2 huge ones. (1 for normal pc's, and 1 for smp). Then under /lib/modules there are 2 folders: 2.6.21.5 and 2.6.21.5-smp. I don't know which one (or kernel) my computer uses and I can't seem to get rid of one of the folders.

When I try to install a module with modprobe, it gives Fatal: Cannot find x module. Yet I compiled with the right gcc version and it is indeed there. The make is interesting. It claims to enter 2.6.21.5 but deposits at 2.6.21.5-smp.

I make oldconfig, make, make modules, make modules_install, and copy defconfig, System.map, and bzImage to /boot. then I make symbolic links to the files (ln -s) for system.map and config. I'm pretty sure that grub is fine too. Then I rdev -R bzImage 1 and rdev bzImage /dev/sda1 (which is the right harddrive).

When I start up, the framebuffer console doesn't kick in and it stalls with buffer i/o error sector x, cannot read from partition, and usb device is using address 3.

I can't figure out what it wrong. This is driving me crazy! Even slackware shouldn't be this hard! :P

...Thanks for your help...

EDIT: I found out what I was doing wrong. The kernel compiled correctly each time. I had to use 2.6.22 (Is 2.6.9 older or something??). I also needed to compile the modules and install them before I made the kernel or else they wouldn't compile and I would install an empty module directory. Whew.

Okay now that that is done, I can't seem to be able to access the "build" and "source" files in my module directory. They just don't exist yet they show up. This is bad.

I need this to solve my *real* problem of modprobe. My D-Link Dwl g122 needs the source file to link to build in the same directory. Now it doesn't see those and just ends the compile.

Thanks.

Thanks, it worked!

Now I have everything set up. But there's one more problem! ;_;

Everytime I restart, the wireless dongle loses all of it's settings. I edited rc.wireless.conf and rc.inet1.conf but they still aren't sticking. (Iwconfig doesn't work either...) I need to use RutilT to configure it everytime I start gnome.

Thanks again. I appreciate it. (You must be the first person to reply to my posts! :D

I'm using ndiswrapper now. For some reason when I use iwconfig to setup the network, it doesn't work. I try

iwconfig wlan0 essid "default"

And when I type in iwconfig again, nothing's changed. Under wlan0 the device still says ESSID: off/any.

Here's my rc.inet1.conf:

# Config information for eth0:
IPADDR[0]=""
NETMASK[0]=""
USE_DHCP[0]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[0]=""

# Config information for eth1:
IPADDR[1]=""
NETMASK[1]=""
USE_DHCP[1]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[1]=""

# Config information for eth2:
IPADDR[2]=""
NETMASK[2]=""
USE_DHCP[2]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[2]=""

# Config information for eth3:
IPADDR[3]=""
NETMASK[3]=""
USE_DHCP[3]=""
DHCP_HOSTNAME[3]=""

# Default gateway IP address:
GATEWAY="192.168.0.1"

# Change this to "yes" for debugging output to stdout.  Unfortunately,
# /sbin/hotplug seems to disable stdout so you'll only see debugging output
# when rc.inet1 is called directly.
DEBUG_ETH_UP="no"

## Example config information for wlan0.  Uncomment the lines you need and fill
## in your info.  (You may not need all of these for your wireless network)
IFNAME[4]="wlan0"
#IPADDR[4]=""
#NETMASK[4]=""
USE_DHCP[4]="yes"
#DHCP_HOSTNAME[4]="icculus-wireless"
DHCP_KEEPRESOLV[4]="yes"
DHCP_KEEPNTP[4]="yes"
DHCP_KEEPGW[4]="yes"
DHCP_IPADDR[4]="192.168.0.1"
WLAN_ESSID[4]="default"
WLAN_MODE[4]="Managed"

##WLAN_RATE[4]="54M auto"
##WLAN_CHANNEL[4]="auto"
##WLAN_KEY[4]="D5AD1F04ACF048EC2D0B1C80C7"
##WLAN_IWPRIV[4]="AuthMode=WPAPSK EncrypType=TKIP WPAPSK=7B1ABEEB5D197741923ED26727569C365E31212096A0EAFAD563B268BAD01CAF TxRate=0"
#WLAN_WPA[4]="wpa_supplicant"
#WLAN_WPADRIVER[4]="ndiswrapper"

and my rc.wireless.conf:

# D-Link Wireless USB Adapter Rev. A2 (DWL-g122)
00:15:E9:*)
INFO="Dwl g122 Wireless USB Adapter Rev. A2"
# ESSID (extended network name) : My Network, any
ESSID="default"
# Operation mode : Ad-Hoc, Managed, Master, Repeater, Secondary, auto
MODE="Managed"
# Frequency or channel : 1, 2, 3 (channel); 2.422G, 2.46G (frequency)
FREQ="any"
CHANNEL="11"
# Bit rate : auto, 1M, 11M
RATE="auto"
# Encryption key : 4567-89AB-CD, s:password
KEY="XXXX-XXXX-XX"
# Other iwconfig parameters : power off, ap 01:23:45:67:89:AB
IWCONFIG="power on"
  ;;

By the way, does anyone know what NETMASK[] does?

Thanks!