Which customizations do I choose for a Dell XPS m140?!

duddy

9 posts in this topic

My laptop is a Dell XPS m140.

Specs:

Intel GMA915 Graphics

Sigmatel 2200 HD Audio

Intel 2200BG Wireless

DVD R/RW + CD-RW

Intel Centrino (CPU-Z says it's SSE2)

I'm using uphucks v10.4.9 w1.4i r2 for Intel and installing onto a hard drive with no other partitions. I used MBR. I rewrote the MBR.

I feel like I have tried EVERY combo and it just won't boot past the blue screen w/ mouse.

Any help would be a GREAT relief! Also, a Demonoid invite would be VERY useful to me, as I would like to try r3!

Which combos have you tried?

I would suggest first entering -v at the Darwin Boot loader (press F8 at startup) and posting whatever comes out before it crashes/kernel panics.

Another thing is to reinstall with no patches, no drivers, and just the SSE2 kernel.

I'm about to install with no patches, no drivers, and just the SSE2 kernel. I'll post what happens in about 10 minutes.UPDATE: It gets to: BSD root: disk0s1, major 14, minor 1 Then it just stops.

Which combos have you tried?

All the combos I have tried involve these drivers/patches:

GMA900

Driverloginwindow

Random AGPGarts (I don't know the difference of each version)

Intel Speedstep (I disabled Speedstep in the BIOS though)

Also, I have to use a paperclip in pinholes 6 and 12 on my VGA port. If I don't, I can't get to the installation screen.

I tried using uphucks v10.4.9 w1.4i r3 for Intel and it does the same thing! It stops at the BSD Major Minor line.

I have tried plugging in an external moniter and have tried booting with and without the DVD and with and without the power plug attached!

Can ANYONE help me?!

• 8 months later...

I had uphuck 10.4.9 1.4i r3 working on my old Dell XPS M140. But I no longer have it installed. Nor do I remember my install options. I will go try it now, and I'll repost if I get it to work. I know you need an external monitor when you first install. See my sig for the old information of my install.