Video Problem at Boot with 10.4.6

5 posts in this topic

I installed 10.4.6 recently on an Intel 945 motherboard and it worked great for video - although no audio and LAN (working on that offline). I did an update to a newer version (10.4.9) and found that the DVD was corrupted during install. So I formatted the drive again (Journaled, HFS+) and stuck 10.4.6 back on......but the second time was NOT the charm. Got through the install completely and then rebooted the machine - the jazzy X presentation at the beginning is now COMPLETELY screwed up and the only way I can boot is to do the -x (safe boot). My original install I didn't need to do that at all - it booted up clean and I saw the jazzy X startup and was able to go through all the setup screens.

So what happened here? Same machine, same drive partition, formatted before install......what gives? DVD hasn't seen 2 installs either and isn't scratched or damaged at all.

Let me know - for now I'm safe booting and that sucks.....! Let me know if there's something I can do to the current boot that will allow it to boot up without the safe boot settings (I'm kinda new at this, but learning to be dangerous).

That explained everything that's happening to my video - the old "picture's worth a million words" really helped. I'll boot into safe mode and make sure that package is installed. I'm using the JaS 10.4.6 install DVD and the GMA files are surely there someplace on the disc. I'll look for them and let you know how it turned out.

Thanks a million for the tip - should be a winner.

DigitalUnderground