Want to share ONLY my public folder with windows XP

MacNugget

1 post in this topic

Hi all,

I apologise if this is not the correct place to post this message, if it's in the wrong place could you point me in the right direction.

My problem is fairly simple. I use the Public folder on my G5 to share with a number of other macs in my home office. I also have a few windows XP computers on the network that I want to access my mac from. I have been able to access the OS X computer from XP without any problems by logging in to it with my username and password but this gives access to the entire home directory. What I would like to do is provide the windows XP computers with access to the public folder only, but I can't seem to log in as a Guest from XP. If I type in guest or leave the username blank I cannot login. I'm sure it must be possible and that I'm making some simple error - could anyone point me in the right direction.

I've heard that Sharepoints is useful for this sort of thing but I'd prefer to do it without installing any extra third party software if possible. Although it it's not possible simply using OS X I have no problem installing something extra.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.