Loading XP in OSX86 through parallels

ebaymarcaro

3 posts in this topic

I've looked through how-to guides and feel pretty lost right now. This is my situation:

I have XP and OSX86 installed on the same hard drive. I dual boot through Acronis. I'm pretty sure XP is the active partition since I boot through Acronis. Both system work fine.

I installed Parallels in OSX and try loading XP. When I load Boot Camp, Acrnois loads and I have the option of choosing either XP and OSX. When I choose XP, it starts to load but then parallels exits the emulation and says it quit based on an error. I tried adding disk0s1 to the parallels file. I get the same issue.

I'm wondering if this is caused by booting Acronis first? My thoughts were that it is emulating the correct disk because it starts Acronis, but perhaps the issue is that it isn't initially booting into XP. Somehow acrnois causes an issue??

I haven't seen this issue reported yet in the forums.

My first thought was to try to switch from acronis to darwin bootloader. This way when I boot XP through paralles, it goes initially to XP and not Acrnois.

However, when I try fdisk in terminal it gives me the error message: could not open MBR file....

I've seen this posted and some posts say ignore this and others say extract the missing file from the installation DVD. I'm not sure if the case is different since I already have both OSs installed.

Any ideas would be much appreciated. I'm just nervous to try changing something with the boot files and have everything cr*p out on me.

man, no replies... Ok so another piece of the puzzle. I'm suspecting that it might have to do with the keyboard drivers? I've seen posts on the parallels forum about conflicts with keyboard drivers causing the windows startup to crash. Has anyone had a similar issue?