Installation on XPS 410

Mortifying

7 posts in this topic

For aobut a few months now I've been pondering OSX86 and finally got another Hard Drive and decided to try it. VMWare never worked, I tried many times and it boots with that error with 3 different languages that it needs to restart.

So, anyways, I got a copy of JaS and I burnt it to a DVD. When I first tried to install, it sat at this error:

AppleHDA.kext failed to load:

Unable to locate 'layout-id' property.

and it would say "Still waiting for root device" every two minutes.

I read about this, so I tried booting with -v -x

and I got this error:

Couldn't alloc class "IOUSBUserClientInit"

and it, again would say "Still waiting for root device" every two minutes.

My specs are

2 GB Ram

2 SATA HDD's (read this could cause the problem)

ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

Intel Core 2 Duo @ 2.13 GHz

Could anyone help me? Any help would be appreciated.

Alrighty. You have the ICH8 southbridge. Your best bet? Get the latest uphuck DVD, which I believe is supposed to fully support that chipset. If that is not possible for you, then you'll have to borrow a friend's computer that is better suited for hardware support and put the hard drive temporarily into that computer. Once you install and boot you will be able to apply the ICH8 patch. With that completed you can put the hard drive back into your XPS 410 and that will be one problem solved. Next...

Your audio is Sigmatel 9227, which is a mixed bag. Good news is that you have two channel output, bad news... not much more than that. Use taruga and put in a codec dump, which you can find on the thread in the forums that is dedicated to nothing put XPS 410s.

Your integrated network won't work yet. Period. So buy a cheap Intel 100VE card or something else that is compatible for ten bucks.

Other than that it will work like a charm. Speedstep, SSE3, QE and CI, the whole shabang.

Good luck,

Stevo

Alrighty. You have the ICH8 southbridge. Your best bet? Get the latest uphuck DVD, which I believe is supposed to fully support that chipset. If that is not possible for you, then you'll have to borrow a friend's computer that is better suited for hardware support and put the hard drive temporarily into that computer. Once you install and boot you will be able to apply the ICH8 patch. With that completed you can put the hard drive back into your XPS 410 and that will be one problem solved. Next...

Your audio is Sigmatel 9227, which is a mixed bag. Good news is that you have two channel output, bad news... not much more than that. Use taruga and put in a codec dump, which you can find on the thread in the forums that is dedicated to nothing put XPS 410s.

Your integrated network won't work yet. Period. So buy a cheap Intel 100VE card or something else that is compatible for ten bucks.

Other than that it will work like a charm. Speedstep, SSE3, QE and CI, the whole shabang.

Good luck,

Stevo

How in the world would he get QE and CI working?

I haven't seen a single person get it working on the X1300 unfortunately.

It's the one thing that keeps me from running OSX full time.

Well, you haven't been reading the forum anytime in the last couple months I guess. Next time look before you post. X1300 support is no trouble at all. In fact, on some machines it works right out of the box. It was a card that was in Apple machines and works pretty good, with some occassional issues with mouse tearing.

Here is proof:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...07&hl=x1300

That is official listing of support within the new version of Natit.

And here is another account of it working, besides me:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1300&st=680

At the top of this post, x986123 hasn't fixed his mouse tearing yet, but his signature clearly states that QE and CI are both working.

Well, you haven't been reading the forum anytime in the last couple months I guess. Next time look before you post. X1300 support is no trouble at all. In fact, on some machines it works right out of the box. It was a card that was in Apple machines and works pretty good, with some occassional issues with mouse tearing.

Here is proof:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...07&hl=x1300

That is official listing of support within the new version of Natit.

And here is another account of it working, besides me:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...1300&st=680

At the top of this post, x986123 hasn't fixed his mouse tearing yet, but his signature clearly states that QE and CI are both working.

Obviously I have been reading the forums in the last couple months. My join date is in July.

Next time look before you post.

I'm not some sort of computer n00b that runs around like a chicken with his head cut-off not knowing what to do. I pay attention, I read, and I always search before I post.

Now you're correct, if I want to use an older version of OSX then I can most certainly use my X1300.

However I'm trying to use 10.4.9 or above as I have an XPS410 just like the original poster, and support for this particular model hasn't been stellar until recent builds by uPhuck.

Also that post that you mention where he states quite clearly that he has tearing and wants higher res support is only 4 days old.

Chances are he doesn't have it working properly like he thinks. That or he did get it working and never bothered to post the solution, which would be helpful.

Next time also just think about what you post before you post it. I was just looking for help, not to get my head bit-off.

"How in the world would he get QE and CI working?" is not looking for help. That sentence does not give one the impression that you are curious how to get QE and CI working, that could have been asked without saying 'how in the world'. Your question is about him, not you. Therefore it gives the impression that you are removed from any predicament and have no personal need for information. Your statements were built around the concept that it is not able to work, therefore your post was meant to be in contradiction to what I was stating. An opposing opinion is fine, I have no problem with that. But your statements were written in an accusatory manor and not well seated in fact.

I apologize for a possible over reaction and hope that you'll accept my apology. However, I think that what you said could have been worded better if you were truly seeking information.

First and foremost, I said get the latest version of uphuck. As you stated in the post above support is better with these latter versions. If I would have recommended that he obtain an old version of uphuck then your concern over compatibility would be valid. However, I did indeed recommend the latest - most compatible - one.

Now, if I didn't tell him to get the latest version there would still be multiple ways to achieve compatibility. By downgrading the appropriate parts of the system it is always possible to achieve compatibility with hardware that was available in earlier versions of OS X. If nothing else he would have been able to get 10.4.8 kexts and frameworks and his QE and CI would work just fine. But, he would have been able to turn on CI and QE without downgrading alsos. The latest version of Natit lists compatibility and gives instructions how to turn on these two features. By entering the appropriate device and manufacturer IDs it is not an issue to turn on both of these features without using old kexts or a brand new version of uphuck. Being that uphuck is a packaging of operating system files all can be manipulated, upgraded, downgraded, added, and removed to achieve like workings.

As for the example I listed: high resolution, mouse tearing, and the date which he posted are not applicable to this discussion. I told Mortifying that he could get CI and QE. I didn't say that he wouldn't have mouse tearing issues. I didn't say anything about resolutions. And I didn't say when possible solutions were made available. Furthermore, the benefits of QE and CI are pretty evident through general navigation of the operating system. I think that he is more than capable of knowing whether he had them turned on or not. If nothing else, most people check the system profiler to make sure that it is turned on.

Stevo

"How in the world would he get QE and CI working?" is not looking for help. That sentence does not give one the impression that you are curious how to get QE and CI working, that could have been asked without saying 'how in the world'. Your question is about him, not you. Therefore it gives the impression that you are removed from any predicament and have no personal need for information. Your statements were built around the concept that it is not able to work, therefore your post was meant to be in contradiction to what I was stating. An opposing opinion is fine, I have no problem with that. But your statements were written in an accusatory manor and not well seated in fact.

I apologize for a possible over reaction and hope that you'll accept my apology. However, I think that what you said could have been worded better if you were truly seeking information.

First and foremost, I said get the latest version of uphuck. As you stated in the post above support is better with these latter versions. If I would have recommended that he obtain an old version of uphuck then your concern over compatibility would be valid. However, I did indeed recommend the latest - most compatible - one.

Now, if I didn't tell him to get the latest version there would still be multiple ways to achieve compatibility. By downgrading the appropriate parts of the system it is always possible to achieve compatibility with hardware that was available in earlier versions of OS X. If nothing else he would have been able to get 10.4.8 kexts and frameworks and his QE and CI would work just fine. But, he would have been able to turn on CI and QE without downgrading alsos. The latest version of Natit lists compatibility and gives instructions how to turn on these two features. By entering the appropriate device and manufacturer IDs it is not an issue to turn on both of these features without using old kexts or a brand new version of uphuck. Being that uphuck is a packaging of operating system files all can be manipulated, upgraded, downgraded, added, and removed to achieve like workings.

As for the example I listed: high resolution, mouse tearing, and the date which he posted are not applicable to this discussion. I told Mortifying that he could get CI and QE. I didn't say that he wouldn't have mouse tearing issues. I didn't say anything about resolutions. And I didn't say when possible solutions were made available. Furthermore, the benefits of QE and CI are pretty evident through general navigation of the operating system. I think that he is more than capable of knowing whether he had them turned on or not. If nothing else, most people check the system profiler to make sure that it is turned on.

Stevo

Right but by only accepting the first sentence of my post you are effectively pulling what I said out of context.

What you said at the end of your post was "Other than that it will work like a charm. Speedstep, SSE3, QE and CI, the whole shabang."

To me the whole "shabang" (actually shebang which means, everything involved in what is under consideration") would include having no tearing and full res support.

Also the X1300's that come with the XPS410's are usually DevID 7183 which still is a known not working ID for the NATIT X1300 support.

I tried installing the latest NATIT builds for giggles and nope, no CI and no QE working. So once again that's not the whole shebang.

I also accept your apology at this point since I can tell that both of us are a bit upset :P.

I just want to get something that works without having to spend money I don't have for an OS that is artificially setup not to work on regular PC's.

Stupid Apple ;)