GMA 950 on Intel 946GZ Not Recognized

Galen

4 posts in this topic

I have a motherboard with Intel GMA 950 graphics onboard. I recently used the JaS 10.4.8 installer to install Mac OS X. The board is performing very nicely, but the graphics seem to be stuck in VESA mode. GMA 950 graphics aren't normally a problem with installs, but I guess I just got lucky? I'm doing a JaS 10.4.8 install.

Apple System Profiler reports that Core Image and Quartz Extreme are "not supported" on the display. No kernel extension is loaded. No useful information seems to be appearing in the console. ASP reports the vendor as Intel 0x8086, the device ID as 0x2972, and the revision ID as 0x0002. Supposedly it has 64 MB of shared system memory.

Resetting the BIOS does not resolve the issue. There don't seem to be any relevant settings in the BIOS. Re-installing the JaS GMA 950 drivers does not help. Repairing permissions shows there were issues, but even after correction and rebooting and re-trying the above, the problem persists. I've removed the relevant kext cache files. It's like a silent failure.

The motherboard is Intel 946GZ based, as described here:

http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Moth...ID=en-us0000227

Ideas, anybody? Do we need to shuffle some device IDs here? Is there another trick I missed?

I did a fresh install of 10.4.9 Uphuck Universal with the Intel GPU drivers and it is still failing, exact same symtoms. Anybody know how to edit the device IDs for the GMA 950 drivers? I am starting to think that the 946GZ changed these slightly, so the GMA 950 kexts aren't able to find and bind to them properly.