help fine tuning my system?

jazzs3quence

3 posts in this topic

i'm a hackint0sh n00b, but i've been dual booting a customized win2k3 and ubuntu for the past year, and i'm pretty good about looking before i post. (i apologize and bow to the flames if this is not the right place for this post) i spent the last week working on my system and finally got osx working off the upchuck 10.4.9 dvd.

i've got an asus p4b533 mobo with an intel 845 chipset, 1.7 ghz p4, nvidia geforce 4000 video card and sblive (which didn't work and i stopped expecting it to after looking at the wiki).

the only thing that was lacking was sound from my onboard cmedia card, which i finally got working from this post cmedia -- yay!

everything else worked more or less straight out of the box (so to speak) except i need to boot into safe mode every time. my sound works, but only if i manually kextload it on bootup (possibly because i'm in safe mode?). i'm pretty happy with my system because it's a fairly low budget system and i didn't need to buy any additional hardware. (i was about to get a usb sound card to get the sound working)

so now my question is, i've got everything running (at least in safe mode) is it possible to get this thing running in normal mode? do i need to go through and purge the kexts i'm not using? alternately, i'm okay with booting to safe mode on a regular basis, so long as everything works, but kextloading my sound card is kind of annoying (although i'm sure i will have that command memorized after one or two more iterations...) -- any way of hacking a startup script or something like that as a workaround?

thanks in advance

You can add a startup script. You could modify the ACPICPUThrottle kext loader to do that. kextload /system/library/extensions/yoursoundcardthingy.kext, already have it memorized here.

You could go with a USB soundcard. I like the TurtleBeach Micro. USB with SPDIF.

Why do you boot in safe mode? Post the error that prevents you from booting normally, and how that occurs occasionally.

i've been booting into safe mode becuase it worked where normal mode would panic (or at least give me the you need to reboot your system screen)

i thought about getting a usb soundcard, but i only want to do that if i can't get what i have working, and i know i can get it to work now.

after booting with the -v flag a couple times into safe mode and normal mode, it looks like my suspicion was right and the sound driver doesn't get loaded in safe mode. so that shouldn't be an issue if i can get it boot to normal mode.

i've messd with a couple of the kexts that it seems to be hanging on for a normal boot, but it gets to a point where it just stops. i never get any discernable errors. last time it came up and looked like it was going to work but booted to a black screen i'm guessing one of he video drivers is the culprit but haven't been able to nail it down.

however, since i get full functionality out of a safe boot, i'm wondering if it's possible to copy whatever set of extensions safe boot uses into my /Extensions directory and clean out everything else except the sound driver...is there some way to find the stuff that loads into safe mode?