How do I get speedstep working

wentakura

5 posts in this topic

Ive installed -uphuck 1.4i- with speedstep but i seemes that speedstep is not working.

Im running my processor at 3.2ghz

My temperature is steady at around 51-53 celsius idle when running OSX.

When im using Windows XP my temp is 32-35 celsiues. When loaded its around 50-54.

Could somebody help out?

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4. E6420

I got the impression from the information given inside Uphuck's install about speedstep that some kernels don't work correctly with the speedstep capabilities in certain processors. If this was true, one may find more luck with other kernels, but no others are provided in that install DVD.

The temperature difference is because OS X reads a different sensor. Windows' sensor is on top of the cores, whereas OS X's is in between the cores.

Stevo

Interesting information! Thanks!

I have E6420 running 3.2 ghz. Maybe i should clock it down little bit. But I mean the speedstep should be working. If you find some other way to get it working please let me know. I would love to use Logic on OSX.

Please make sure you read the Genius bar tutorials forums. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=42865 is a link to the official forum topic for speedstep.

Maybe I should clarifiy my question a little more; I would like to enable Speedstep just the way it does in windows. When the CPU is idle the multiplier goes down to 6x instead of 8x to reduce the speed but also consuption/heat.

Is it possible? I tried speedstep in the uphuck instal DVD but it doesnt work. Maybe I did something wrong during the installation. I would also like to use my NTFS hardisk but OSX doesnt recognize them.