Kernel panic prior to install

Geiiga

8 posts in this topic

Okay, after discovering that I'd probably never be able to get a flawless run out of the other motherboard I had, and not being able to boot OSX off of the IDE drive anyway, I got my Plan A motherboard running (turns out I had plugged the CPU fan into the system fan jack -- oops) which I had researched the hell out of prior to buying to make sure that it should definitely probably work.

What I get, as soon as the boot begins, regardless of what release I use (I've tried JaS 10.4.7, 10.4.8, and Uphuck 10.4.9 v1.3), after the copyright message from the regents of the University of California, the lines:

using 98e0 buffer headers and 4096 cluster IO buffer headers

Enabling XNM register save/restore and SSE/SSE2 opcodes

Started CPU 01

IOAPIC: Version 0x21 Vectors 0:23

panic(cpu 0 caller 0x0019DACB): copy_window_init: cpu > num_cpus

Debugger called: <panic>

Backtrace, Format 0 Frame : Return Address (4 potential args on stack)

0x2298bca8 : 0x128d1f (0x3c9728 0x2298bccc 0x131ed0 0x0)

...and so forth like that last line, until:

Backtrace terminated - invalid frame pointer 0x0

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform(1.0.3)@0x32cb90 00

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.1)@ox32c6b000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOACPIFamily(1.2.0)@0x32c7e000

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:17:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386

My system is as follows:

Motherboard: MSI K9AGM, which says it is ATI RS485/RS485c chipset based

500 gig SATA hard drive

320 gig IDE hard drive (there's a failed install on there from the other motherboard, but this problem happens even when this drive is unplugged)

AMD Athlon 62 x2 4800+ dual-core processor (doesn't like my dual-core maybe?)

2 gig stick DDR800 RAM

And a DVD-RW drive I picked up for cheap.

I verified in the HCL that all this stuff should work, so I don't know why it doesn't. I'm at wit's end here. I've been trying to get this thing up and running for a week. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I get the same error message. I have tried everything and don't know what is causing it. Does anyone have any insights or shoul dI just give up? Thanks!

i also get this every time but i have an intel. this is the only thred ive found on it so far and i havent a clue what its about. all so, does this look familier...

6bn4kk3.jpg

Try hitting F8 and adding the parameter:

cpus=2

I was getting the cpu > num_cpus error mentioned at the top of this thread. This got me past it. The message from panda_man looks nothing like what I was seeing.

BTW. I'm on a 2.0 Ghz Athlon 64X2 (AM2) socket. NForce mobo. Nvidia vid card.

Also: you might want to go so far as to use this:

cpus=2 -f -v

It's not pretty until the gui starts up, but at least you'll see any possible hangs.

• 6 months later...

Okay so i had the same problem on install when i was installing but i did what you recomended and did the cpus=2 -v and i was able to install it fine. When i rebooted it went straight to the screen that tells me i need to reboot. I rebooted and instead typed in the same thing cpus=2 -v and it loaded into the OS fine with no problems i then loaded the rest of the drivers for my hardware. After that though i could not log in again as it kept showing that reboot screen. Im using the JAS 10.4.8 Intel/AMD sse2 sse3 and whatevers after that.

My hardware is as follows

AMD Athalon 64 x2 4200

MSI K9N Sli Platinum

Nvida Chipset

Nvidia 7600 graphics

2 gigs of ram

Any suggestions on what i can do to fix this or maybe some patches that might help me out?

Im thinking it might be that NV40 driver that comes with the cd?

• 10 months later...