[Mac Pro] Dual video cards?

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been looking in these treads hoping to find a solution to get a faster video card in my Mac Pro without spending serious money on one from apple.

Currently there is a standard 7300GT card in there, my question is: what if I buy a second card stick it in there just to use in linux / windows? For instance a 8800 witch won't work in OSX but will in linux / vista... Is it possible to 'select' a primary video card in windows? Guessing it's not to much of a hassle in linux, just configure the xorg.conf correctly.

I would like to play some games every now and then and a 7300 just isn't fast enough :censored2:

I opted for the X1900XT 512mb card for my Mac Pro. Now I'm not the hardest core gamer, but I do dabble in some of the newer games just to see the innovations, and even though I know there's faster cards out there, I find the X1900XT plenty capable.

I opted for the X1900XT 512mb card for my Mac Pro. Now I'm not the hardest core gamer, but I do dabble in some of the newer games just to see the innovations, and even though I know there's faster cards out there, I find the X1900XT plenty capable.

Right, I'm no hardcore gamer either but I want to check some games out too. So same purpose for the card here :)

But did you buy the x1900xt from apple? Or did you buy it from a (cheaper) PC shop? The card from apple will cost 400 euro and from a PC shop will come in just around the 180 mark :unsure: