ALC880 on MSI 945G MB working! Digital out! & 5.1 Spkrs!

eyemac

3 posts in this topic

I have FULL HDA audio working now on my MSI 945 MB. I modified the AppleHDA kext for the ALC880 chipset. In past systems, this has only provided Line in and Line out. However, somehow, and I am unsure how this came about but, my current 945MB (MSI) system with ALC880 sound has full support for Line In Line Out DIGITAL Out (!) Microphone In. However, the AppleHDA kext ONLY provides ALL these when used with ALL my associated audio kexts from the system (?). What i mean by ALL is that ONLY Analog In/Out will work if one replaces ONLY the AppleHDA kext, but somehow, if ALL the Audio kexts are replaced with the ones in the Zip file, AND one remembers to 1) remove Azalia kext, 2) discard Extensions.mkext and Extensions.kextcache files from the /System/Library folder and then 3) Repair Permissions with Disk Utility and 4) Reboot , then one should get:

1) Analog In

2) Analog Out

3) Digital Out (SPDIF)

4) Headphone Out

5) Microphone IN

PLUS!!! It appears you can have multichannel out (5.1!!!) as well by following the steps to set up Aggregate Device in Audio Midi App using Skippyretards method here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&hl=alc883

I followed the steps and now can set up multichannel 5.1 for the speakers although I have not been actually able to test it because I don't have the proper 5.1 spkr setup.

For those that are unfamiliar with usning the Root user, if you have not set it up, Use NetInfo Manager app in Utillities folder. Athenticate with your user password under Security drop down menu. The set up Root User by choosing that and setting up a password. You then logout or your crrent setup and Log In using the login: 'Root' , which you type into the 'ther' login and the password you set. That will give you full administrator privelges and it it much easier to replace kexts etc. However, be careful because you can, by messing with vital kexts etc, trash your system when doing things in Root. However, the audio fix provided appears safe.

Good luck

eyemac

Audio_kexts_alc880__in_output_digital_out_microphone_working.sitx

• 4 weeks later...

This turns out to be incorrect. I am sorry for any misleading invoramtion bu after detailed searching it turns out that the MB I am using actually is ALC882 rather than ALC880 and THAT is why I am able to get digital out etc.SORRY for the confusion.

SG