Make regular apple airport card function using pcmcia slot

4 posts in this topic

discussion strated in Intel Wireless driver topic here.

Here is my idea. i have an older apple airport card, not the airport express, just the regular airport. this type of card has the ability to fit in a laptop's pcmcia slot. now, to function normally, that is inside of an apple ibook, the card must have the power plug plugged into the top, similar to the 3945 card. would it be possible to take a usb cable, splice it so that it only has the power ability, and rewire an airport power plug onto it? its just a thought.

The plug that goes into the top of an airport card is the ariel connection, not power. Put power into that and you should get a small firework display followed by a dead airport card and possibly a dead computer.

If you have a PCMCIA slot you should try putting a LINKSYS WPC54GS into that, because it is fully compatible with Airport Extreme 54mbit. It is way cheaper than the Airport Cards and has the Antenna already built-in.

Mine did cost 14 Euros (eg. 18 USD) on Ebay and I am using it on my old Powerbook and it works just like an Airport Extreme Card. It should also work with a hackintosh laptop.

EDIT: It actually IS working on a Hackintosh: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=216500

As long as you did get your Cardbus to work....

• 4 weeks later...
The plug that goes into the top of an airport card is the ariel connection, not power. Put power into that and you should get a small firework display followed by a dead airport card and possibly a dead computer.

Secondly, old Airport cards are not standard PCMCIA. What looks like a duck is sometimes a cat in a duck costume.