new to this dont have a clue!

Auzzie dude

16 posts in this topic

Hi all, this is my first ever venture into the world of OSX86.

i have the Darwin hacked disk that a mate gave me to try...

anyway i got a spare 80gb hdd i have and in windows partitioned it into 20/20/40

20 for OSX

20 for windows

40 for random data (formated into FAT 32 so both OS's can wright it.)

i have formated the 20 for windows and the 40 for random data, but i didnt format the 20 for OSX because it has to be in HFS (or something like that)

so i put this hdd into my mechine and set it as the booting HHD, set my DVD burner as the first boot device, booted from the DVD, it gives me a thing saying press and key to load defaults or F8 to entre some other mode (cant remeber exact wording)

i tryed just leting it use defaults and i gave me a window with the MAC logo in the middle and the spinning load thing under it. it just sat like that for ages then a circle with a line though it popd up onto of the MAC logo.. didnt get any further than that.

what am i doing wrong?

EDIT: i poped the DVD in to the computer and it only had these files on it.. (see atachment)

post-122034-1184827316_thumb.jpg

yo i was having the same issue, dl'd a different version

uphuck's 10.4.9 v1.3

and it installed ok but am running into later problems, im trying to get it worked out, but yeah i had the grey screen w apple, timer and circle w line and just got a dif version which fixed that prob

ok, i dont think i can... this vertion is running on my mates PC just fine, should i try pulling out my TV tuner and firewire card? i have already removed the cable from my other hdds.

my system specs are as follows.

intel e2160

gigabyte 965P-DS3

total of 3.5gb ram

total of round a TB of hdd space

2 DVD burners

thanks for the reply anyway

Yeah, you should desinstall them from your PC.

Disconnect everything, including USB keys.

Then, try to search for a topic about installing osx86 on YOUR mobo.

Do your friends have the same mobo as you ?

Have you tryed typing F8 during the osx boot, and then -v ? To see what the problem is ?

I guess you have a "still waiting for root device"

I guess you have a "still waiting for root device"

yep thats the error if i do that -V thing...

i also scaned the DVD i got and it has read errors so im getting my mate to reburn it for me.

and no my mate dont have the same mobo.

yep thats the error if i do that -V thing...

i also scaned the DVD i got and it has read errors so im getting my mate to reburn it for me.

and no my mate dont have the same mobo.

It should be burn at x1 or x2, don't burn it in x8 or x16...

About the error, right before "still waiting", isn't there a "no kernel depedency"

?

Try -v -x

If my memory is correct, that's the safe mode.

i will give it another go in a few min..

so

a remove stuff like my TV tuner, USB bluetooth afapter etc..

b get a copy with no errors on the burn (burn at slower speed)

c il do one of those -V things and take a pic of the screen

if im gone for about 20min i will be back

EDIT ok, i got my mates laptop here with the ISO on it...

wat should i use to burn with?

Nero 7

Imgburn

DVD decypter

ok i tryed again and still got the same thing...havnt tryed with a difrent install disk yet cos its burning stil...i took a pic of the screen

post-122034-1184832432_thumb.jpg

the ds3 is a VERY common board.and a lot of tutorials about installing on P965 have been made.All your answers are out there, not far... google is your friend.You should begin by reading topics about your DS3.Oh, and btw, IDE HDDs will never work on this board.You need a patch to install from an IDE DVD Burner.Try this, it's from a guy using a DS3:"If you have still waiting for root device errors, Just try rebooting, or play with the sata/ide settings in the bios. On my Gigabyte DS3 the combo that worked the best was setting "SATA Native mode" to "enabled" and "Onboard sata/ide ctrl" mode to "IDE". Once in a while it'll still give the dreaded "still waiting for root device." After a reboot it would work fine."

i just posted in the new Uphunk thread about the new vertion for intel based systems... i can probly get that one seeing as its only 1.4gb not 4...

would it be worth me getting it?

Yes, I think so.

It is a very good release, with every patch necessary to install it on a 965 based board.

BTW, what internet connection speed do you have ?

ok, just tryed again with the settings u posted still no luck...

i was using a IDE DVD burner but its got a Abit serial converter on it so its connected to the mobo via sata.

the hdd is also IDE but has a converter on it.

even though the devices are IDE should the work fine cos they are connected via SATA to the mobo?

my internet connection is 256/64 but i got a DL cap so thats y i dont want to DL masive files.

also thanks for your help mate