Installed Onto USB Drive and booted from laptop PC

maclaptop

4 posts in this topic

Hey, just letting you know that I successfully got it to boot natively on my laptop by DD'ing deadmoo's image to a USB 2.0 HD.

I have a Toshiba P30 notebook computer.

Sound doesn't work (but I think it should if it is tweaked as the P30 has an on-board AC97 for sound), USB mouse works, firewire works, DVD-drive doesn't work and the keyboard doesn't work as well.

No Quartz Extreme. Rosetta does work natively without any patches, as the P30 has an Intel P4 3.02 ghz chip built-in. The computer has an ATI Radeon 9800 in it...so I don't know how or if it would be possible to get Quartz Extreme running on it.

iTunes works, and I was even able to play videos in QuickTime at full speed (but no sound).

It all runs pretty fast, too!

I think I un-patched Deadmoo's Rosetta and went back to the coregraphics framework from the install DVD.

To make it work on the Toshiba P30 and to boot off the USB HD, go into the bios, choose the USB drive as the primary boot device - AND THIS PART IS IMPORTANT, disable the built-in IDE drive!!! If you don't do that, you'll just get the twirling mac logo for infinity.

I and some others are having problems booting a laptop from an external USB drive (in my case the laptop is a Thinkpad X40). In my case after the boot and grey apple logo I get a Reboot message. Using the -v boot option it seems there is a kernel panic which is causing this. (And the Reboot message comes up regardless of whether the IDE drive is enabled or disabled.)

Is it possible for you to try booting using -v and showing us the output? (Btw, how are you doing things on the laptop if the keyboard isn't working? An external keyboard?)

I and some others are having problems booting a laptop from an external USB drive (in my case the laptop is a Thinkpad X40). In my case after the boot and grey apple logo I get a Reboot message. Using the -v boot option it seems there is a kernel panic which is causing this. (And the Reboot message comes up regardless of whether the IDE drive is enabled or disabled.)

Is it possible for you to try booting using -v and showing us the output? (Btw, how are you doing things on the laptop if the keyboard isn't working? An external keyboard?)

Try deleting all the ATI kext files, as until I did that, I experienced the same error you got.

I used Deadmoo's image, so in Darwin, the keyboard works. It's just when Mac OSX actually boots, that I lose the keyboard (which is an internal laptop PS2 keyboard) and only the USB mouse works.

I might try getting a USB keyboard or PS2 to USB adaptor to see if it works.

Sorry, i can't boot with the dash-v option, I don't know how to record the results, nor can I as the keyboard stops working then! But I do recall seeing a thing saying that the appleps2controller timed out.

Tester,

I am having the same probelm. This could be a noob question but here goes. You say to remove the ATI kext files. However how I have the system mounted I am unable to. I am running ubuntu 5.04 and when I try to remove the files, even as root, I get a "Read Only File System error". Any ideas on removal? I am downloading another live CD to see if it's my distro, or have I done something wrong?