I NEED! network help!

duggyb

4 posts in this topic

well guys i finally got all my other driver issues worked out(video driver and such)....but i am still stuck on my netowrk one.

I have 10.4.8 JaS install...everything working smoothly...except network....for some reason the computer does not see the built in ethernet...which is fine...i also have a Realtek 8139D network card installed that should work...everyone else on the forums said there 8139's work nativley....and i have had mine working on the old 10.4.1 image....so why wont it work now?

is there maybe some sort of driver that i need to install to make it work?

also how do i go about trying to cofigure the network in OSX?...i looked around..but it seems much different then XP....is there guide somewhere?

i would really like to get this going tonight...so any insight would be great.

also one other small problem...not a big deal tho...when i click the "About This Mac" link...it logs me out?...and doesnt show nothing...i just have to log back in....is this a common problem? anyone got a fix for it?

thanks in advance!

THNX

Duggy

This is a sort of related answer for you and it may work.

I have VIARHINE II Built-In Ethernet on my MOBO. Well I installed the OSX86 drivers on it that were compiled for 10.4.6. It only worked for one reboot then never worked again.

After much frustration, I gave up and just got a NIC that I had lying around (a Linksys), installed it, and plugged my ethernet cable into it. When I booted into OSX86, It told me it detected my ethernet. I tried to get online but it still said no connection. I then went into network preferences and it showed my Built-in Ethernet on my MOBO again, but not the newly installed NIC. So I plugged in the ethernet cable to my Built-in Ethernet on my MOBO. And I'll be damned. It worked and has worked ever since (a few months now and I am on OSx86 typing this).

Moral of the story, get some random NIC, and plug it into a PCI slot. Then maybe, just maybe one of your two ethernet ports will work for some unexplained reason (and personally I do not care why).

Good Luck and Keep on macKIN'

My Specs Below

Make sure that your built-in ethernet is not disabled in your bios. I spend hours trying to fix mine only to find out that I disabled it a long time ago. :) It was showing up just in the list of hardware, but not working at all till I enabled it.

And after all is said I done try what sdracer48 suggested. I had to do the same thing with mine. I guess it's a jealousy issue among hardware. :D

no i think the onboard LAN is wrecked on my board...becuase i spent days trying to get it working even with Windows XP..and Windows Vista...and i ended up just getting this network card anyways....

but it is enabled in the bios...and i tried the switcharoo thingy anyways...no luck.

so i need to get this 8139 card going...or im screwed!

THNX

Duggy