Dual Boot Vista and OS X - SUCCESS

T4RZ4N

2 posts in this topic

Hi all,

First, I would like to thank this forum, you guys are awesome. Without you guys, I won't be able to get my Mac OS X86 working.

Next, I would like to contribute back to the community on my success story, dual booting Vista and OS X on the same SATA hard disk, different partition, hopefully it'll help others :-D

Without further ado, I'll start with my hardware configuration.

Hardware:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 (775) - 2.8 GHz with HT

Motherboard: MSI 865PE - Neo3

Memory: Kingston DDR RAM 400MHz - 2x1GB

Video card: ATI Radeon 9600 XT - 256MB

Hard disk: Western Digital 250 GB WD2500KS (SATA) and Quantum 10GB (IDE) (yeah 10GB, dun laugh)

Sound: Built-in AC97

Optical drive: LG DVD-ROM and BenQ DVD+/-RW

Network: Built-in RealTek 8169 and Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 (not working)

Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 17"

Bluetooth: Jabra BT620s

Peripherals: Firewire PCI card (haven't tried) and Creative Webcam Vista (no driver for Mac, so cannot work)

did i miss anything?

Check Hardware Compatibility List for your hardware to see if they have been reported to work.

Software:

Windows Vista Ultimate Edition - burn into DVD

JaS 10.4.8 SSE2/SSE3 PPF1 from Rapidshare - burn into DVD

Preparation:

- Backup, backup, backup, and backup. Did I say enough? Backup. No one will be responsible when you lose any data or explode any hardware in the process (okay, not that bad maybe, but you get the idea). Needless to say, these are risky process, but the reward is wonderful if you get it up and running :angel:

- IMPORTANT: Plug one optical drive and IDE harddisk (in my case, the 10GB Quantum) on the same cable. Ensure that they are detected on the same channel in BIOS. e.g. Quantum HDD as Primary Master and LG DVD ROM as Primary Slave. I have my BenQ DVD+/-RW as Secondary Master and Western Digital SATA hard disk as Third Master.

- Go to BIOS, under Integrated Peripherals, IDE Configuration. Set mode to Legacy Mode, P-ATA only. SATA keep enabled.

Vista Installation:

- Put in Vista DVD, boot from Vista DVD, follow the wizard to install Vista. When creating partition, create two partitions, one for Vista, one for Mac OS later.

- When you have Vista up and running (my case 30 mins later), download Monitor Asset Manager, run it, and copy your monitor's EDID. I copied and pasted the whole information as a text file into my thumbdrive. You'll need this later.

Mac OS Installation:

- In Vista, run cmd as Administrator.

- Type the following:

- diskpart
   - list disk
   - select disk X (with X being the SATA disk number)
   - list partition
   - select partition Y (with Y being the partition of Mac OS)
   - active (to activate Mac OS partition for installation)
   - exit

- Reboot

- Insert Mac OS X install DVD to the optical drive plugged to the same cable as IDE hard disk.

- The installation should proceed as expected.

- Select the language, click Continue.

- When prompted with the screen to select target disk, go to Utilities then select Disk Utility.

- Select the partition on SATA disk for Mac OS, select Mac OS Extended (Journalled) and click Erase. Make sure you select the correct partition, or you'll hosed anything that you have in a partition.

- Select Customize on the next screen, select only System Essentials and Intel SSE2/SSE3. Nothing else.

- Install and it'll restart.

- It should boot into Mac OS X. If you receive "HFS+ partition error" message, look at Troubleshooting section below.

- At this point, all are working except two, video card with CI (Core Image)/QE (Quartz Extreme), and network.

- From 10.4.8 HCL, Realtek need RealtekR1000.kext. Feel free to download that from another machine and copy it into a thumbdrive. Copy this RealtekR1000.kext into /System/Library/Extensions/. Reboot if you like.

- Next is the video card. Download Callisto (I use B008). Follow the installation STEP by STEP. Don't skip any step, how insignificant they may look. At the EDID step with 128 bytes value, copy the information obtained from Monitor Asset Manager above.

Don't know what Property List Editor is? Look at Troubleshooting section below.

- Delete Extensions.kext and Extensions.kextcache from /System/Library/

- Reboot back to Mac.

- At this point, hope that your network and video card works.

- Go to System Preferences, Display, and you can now change to a higher resolution.

- After you've succcessfully changed the resolution, next is to tackle CI/QE for your video card. Follow the step in Callisto FAQ, about ATIRadeonXXXXGA.plugin, reboot, and you can now watch videos in Mac :thumbsup_anim:

- You should get a fully working Mac OS X now :D Enjoy.

Dual-boot:

- Boot using Vista DVD, click Next.

- Launch Command Prompt, Use diskpart method, this time activate Vista partition.

- When it's done, select Repair your computer (this first option).

- It should proceed to fix the partition MBR. Read the report details after it has done fixing.

- When booting Mac OS X, press F8 after the BIOS screen, and you should see multiple OS there to choose from to boot. I use Darwin bootloader for dual-boot. To give yourself some time to choose OS on each boot, add Timeout key in com.apple.Boot.plist. Get the detailed guide on OSX86 Wiki.

Check http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=39253 for detailed dual-boot guides.

Troubleshooting:

Now, things are not as smooth as we want, and here are the lessons I learned, errors encountered, and how to solve them.

Q: When installing from Mac OS DVD, I got "Still waiting for root device"

A: Install IDE hard disk to the same cable as the optical drive in which you insert Mac OS X DVD. You can install to another SATA drive later on, but you need IDE hard disk to get pass this step.

Q: After installation is done, reboot, I see "HFS+ Partition Error"

A: Press F8 when boot, type -v -s to boot into single user mode.

Fix the partition MBR. Follow the step here -> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...&hl=timeout

Q: After installation is done, reboot, I see a grey screen with Apple logo, then suddenly the screen goes black.

A: This one was my mistake, in the installation screen, I chose ATI driver in Customize page. DON'T. Select only System Essentials and Intel SSE2/SSE3 patch. Nothing else.

Q: Realtek 8169 built-in Ethernet doesn't work

A: Download RealtekR1000.kext. Read the steps above.

Q: Everytime I restart, I got the message that says RealtekR1000.kext extensions has been improperly used.

A: Read here -> http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry393829

Q: Linksys WUSB11 v2.8 wireless doesn't work

A: There isn't any driver available that I could find, so too bad. :(

Q: What is Property List Editor?

A: It's a tool available from Apple. Register at Apple Developer Connection, and download XCode Tools 2.4.1. It's aabout 900MB in size. If you want a quick and fast way, download shareware PlistEditPro. When editing in EDID for monitor in Callisto step, we cannot use built-in TextEdit.

Q: After running through the installation guide for Callisto and reboot, until grey screen with Apple logo, the monitor suddenly turns blank

A: Another mistake that I learn the hard way, I skipped the EDID part, thought I won't need it. How wrong I was. The EDID part was necessary so Callisto driver know what monitor is plugged in. Else, you'll see frequency out of range or the monitor simply goes blank.

At this point, what I did was boot with F8, type -v -x to boot into safe mode, so you can edit whatever is needed.

Failing which, boot using -v -s and browse to /System/Library/Extensions/Callisto.kext and CallistoHAL.kext. Delete Info.plist file in both directory. Mac OS X should boot as per normal without using Callisto extensions.

Finally, you will need lots of spare time in order to get this to work. I started the whole trial and error last Tuesday, with 1-3 hours a day, only managed a fully working dual-boot of Vista and Mac OS X on Sunday.

If any step is not complete, or any mistakes that I've done, please let me know (as I'm typing this on top of my head, trying to dig out my memories from six days back)

Hope this guide helps. :thumbsup_anim:

• 2 months later...

To update to 10.4.9 and then 10.4.10, follow the guide here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=45283

For me, I also backup ATIRadeon9700.kext, ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin, Callisto.kext, and CallistoHAL.kext, RealtekR1000.kext, and restore them later.

To get "About This Mac" working, I ran 10.4.4 loginwindow.pkg from JaS 10.4.8 DVD.

Just to be safe, I think, just backup the whole Extensions folder, you don't know what you may need.