HELP! Changes back to en0 upon Reboot

Minkook Um

2 posts in this topic

Successfully installed 10.4.8 but I am having so much trouble getting the network and audio set up.

I opened a Terminal and typed "sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist"

and changed en0 to en1, but after reboot, it's back at en0.

Some body please help. if you can help me with audio too, great!

I don't even know where to start with audio.

FYI - 10.4.6 HCL

HP Pavilion dv1708nr JaS 10.4.6 1.46ghz Celeron M 410(detected as Core Solo),512mb DDR2,60gb Hitachi SATA HDD, GMA950, Intel PRO/100 VE, Broadcom 4311(detected as Airport Extreme, just need to rename en0 to en1 - search the forums for info), Conexant HDA(using Azalia kext), Everything works except Remote and Media Card Reader. HP Pavilion dv1710us JaS 10.4.6 Same as above for dv1708nr, except 1GB DDR2 and 80GB SATA HDD. Intel 100 Pro device ID 0x10518086 added under IOPCIMatch in AppleIntel8255x.kext for working ethernet. en0>en1 for Airport on Broadcom wireless. Azalia kext with 0x504714F1 under IOHDAudioCodecVendorID in AppleAzaliaAudio.kext. Powermanagement bundle works, shows the meter but time is always calculating. Remote works, at least most of the buttons do. PCMCIA and Dialup untested. Everything else works right out of the box.

You could try locking the plist file to changes. That can be done in the finder, I forget the Apple CLI utility (fileinfo? something HFS-specific), sudo chmod 555 /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist ("Sudo as root, and change permissions to Read/Execute for owner/group/others for networkinterfaces.plist, allow no writing"). To change it back, chmod 777 and repair permissions (I don't know what it is system-default, probably 750).

You could also try disabling one of the ethernet cards in BIOS etc.

JaS 10.4.8 was a good release. I suggest trying a new release as well. I had trouble with ethernet under Uphuck's 1.3, as did others, but many have success.