Atheros Wireless/T60p frustration

smharr4

4 posts in this topic

After hours reading this forum and some experimentation with both a T40 and a T60p, I installed OS X 10.4.8 onto my T60p (model 2007-CQ8) and have it running satisfactorily.

Except that is, for the Atheros wireless card - I've got it partially working, but as soon as I try connecting to a network I get a kernel panic and a message saying "Please hold down the power button on your computer and restart".

I've noticed that it only seems to happen when I connect to a network that doesn't require encryption. Connecting to an encrypted network just fails without crashing the OS, and without giving me the opportunity to enter a network key.

I had to resort to a little hackery in order to get it to work. I saw people suggesting that the IO80211Family.kext from 10.4.5 can be used on 10.4.8 in order to get the card working, but that didn't work for me. I restored the original 10.4.8 IO802.11Family.kext, and added my card's vendor id (168c) and device id (1014) to /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext/Contents/Plugins/AirportAtheros.kext/Contents/Info.plist. After I did that and rebooted, I have an 'airport' interface on both my menu bar and in system preferences, and it does pick up the same wireless networks that my Windows Mobile PDA and Windows XP detect, but I can't connect to them without crashing.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how I can get this last step to work?

I did a similar installation of OS X on a co-worker's T60p (slightly different model, 2007-AD1) and did the same thing with the wireless card (same device and vendor ID) and it worked first time.

The only thing I could see that was different was that he had an older version of the wireless card drivers in Windows - we wondered if that meant he had an earlier firmware version which worked fine, but my newer revision kept causing the crashes.

Anyone else seen something similar with Atheros cards in laptops?