Parts questions

3 posts in this topic

Hi, I've been lurking around for awhile and have finally decided to ask the opinion of those with more experience.

I would like to build an osX86 box and am looking at a couple of different barbones at newegg.

First is the ASUS P3-PH4C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16856110075

Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Audio: Realtek ALC883

2 PCIe

2 PCI

Second is the ASUS P2-P5945G

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16856110069

Graphics: Intel GMA 950

Audio: Analog Device AD1988B

2 PCI

I'm interested in opinions on the Audio. I would really like to get audio out. Audio in would be nice but not a requirement.

I don't know anything about the onboard network but would DEFINITELY like to know if anyone has gotten any Wireless N to work. I would like to get the draft 802.11n working but would like to hear what others may have found (or just let me know if i'm barking up the wrong tree...) I was thinking maybe the forth coming QuickerTek USB 802.11n might work? Or even their draft n upgrade kit? I'm unsure of the connection for the "upgrade kit." I really don't care what it is I would just really like to see if there are any folks out there that have real world experience getting that kind of speed out of their wireless card on a hackentosh.

Lastly, any recommendations on install order? I have a friend that swears that the best thing he has found is to start with 10.4.6 release and upgrade from there but I am wondering if there are any benifits to starting out with one of the newere 10.4.9 releases.

Thanks, i'm looking forward to any and all responses.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am also interested in the above barebone system. Especially P2-P5945G is around 150 after rebate on new egg now. Could any one give your experience? Thanks ahead :huh:

mine works great. for $300 from newegg i got a shuttle (see sig) with 1 GB RAM and core 2 duo. GMA 950 gave me out of the box CE/QI. i run it at 1600x1050.