Unable to reinstall Vista

dmbpettit

8 posts in this topic

I tried getting the dual boot towork by first installing Vista on partition 1 and then 10.4.6 goatsec on partition 2. Using Easybcd I got this to work great. Then I wanted to update to JaS 10.4.8 and then messed everything up. I reinstalled vista and then reinstall 10.4.8. Easybcd would never boot into OS X. When I choose the OS X option, the screen would flicker and then take me back to the boot option screen.

So I am trying it in a different way. I have 10.4.8 on partion 2 but I left Partition 1 empty and formated as ms-dos. I then boot from my vista dvd and format the ms-dos partition to NTFS. When I choose to install Vista on this partition I get a message saying that Windows in unable to find a drive that is able to be used. That is not a direct quote but it is close.

Any ideas?

you probably messed up your mbr.

use that easybcd of yours to fix your mbr and boot sector.

when you re-install vista, always put it in the first parition, osx on 2nd partition on the other hand. use again that easybcd thing to make osx partition as primary parition, and therefore you shall have 2 primary partition.

windows vista also has a fixboot and fixmbr from its recovery console.

EasyBCD is windows only as far as I can tell. So I cannot use that to fix this problem. I am looking for that boot disk right now. Once I find it, what will it do for me? I cannot fix the mbr because vista does not exist on my system. Vista will not allow me to install it on the first partition.

done

Here is what happened when I used the boot cd. The program found there was a bad sector and it corrected it. It does not show the two different partitions, just the whole drive. I set the whole drive to active because it said that nothing was set to primary. I then tried to install Vista and received the same error. "Windows was unable to find a drive that meets the require criteria".

Do I need to start all over and format the entire drive? And if so, in what order do I install the operating systems?

hehe, its seems you corrupted your partitions. its recoverable still, but if you dont have any important data, then just wipe it out and begin with a freshly cleaned hard drive.

you may use that bootcd to delete the partition and then create a new one. you can make at least 3 partitions.

first partition is for vista

2nd partition is for osx

third, for data