Tri-Booting (OSx86|Vista|Ubuntu)

hob426

6 posts in this topic

On Installing: OSX86, Vista and Ubuntu Linux on one PC

Ive researched some dual booting, and maybe quad booting, but I am not sure what is the best way to Install these 3 OS's.

Right now my computer is freshly assembled by me, never turned on. So what is the best way to set up these 3 Os's on my PC?

I know a certain order and procedure is needed, but I don't want to mess this up. . . Thanks in advance.

Some tips:

If you install Ubuntu last, be sure not to put GRUB in the MBR or it will destroy your Vista Bootloader (like it did with me). Put it on the partition where you install Ubuntu.

EasyBCD could'nt help me with loading Mac OSX, it would give me the Macbootscreen for one second and then return to the Vista menu to choose the boot options, so I would just loop and Mac OSX wouldn't start.

I added Mac Osx to GRUB, so now if my laptop boots, I can choose between Vista and Ubuntu and when I choose Ubuntu, Grub gets loaded, with the choice between Ubuntu and Mac OSX

Grtz and good lukc

Thanks, So I put OSX first in its own partition (Darwin in MBR) then Vista in its own partition (its loader in MBR), then Ubuntu, but (its GRUB being in its own partition). . .

I need something like EasyBCD that works with OSX. . .

Is there a boot program with a nice GUI that displays all 3?

So i have 3 OS's each with its own partition, right?: can I make a 4th partition for all the files shared between the 3 OS's? I know OSX needs FAT32, but I read theres a fix for NFTS. . . Can i do that?

Part 1: Fat32: OSX

Part 2: NFTS: Vista

Part 3: NFTS: Ubuntu

Part 4: NFTS: my files

Thanks again.

That's the order that worked for me :-)

All other methods gave me errors.

EasyBCD is a program to configure the Vista bootloader. You can easely add your Mac Osx to it (you'll find some post on this board about it), but that didn't work for me.

I use the Vista loader to choose between Vista and Grub and once in Grub I can Choose between all the 3 operating systems (I also added Vista, you never know if you change your mind in 1 sec)

Grtz

I have installed 10.4.4,10.4.7,and 10.4.9 . Never during any of these installs did i see

any mention of a bootloader at all. I have no idea where Mac is putting it.

My Mac install is on the first partition on my second harddrive. I let grub which is the

bootloader from PCLinuxOS,located on the first harddrive,control everything and it works out fine. Just add a simple

chainloader paragraph to menu.lst and you are good to go.

I have Windows XP on an older computer which i rarely use and i did not pay for it. No way would i put Vista

on any computer i own, i have absolutely no need for it. I'm partial to FREE operating

systems.

It just dawned on me that since my first hardrive is formatted in EXT3 and Mac can not write

to EXT3 then Mac is installing its bootloader in its root partition.

It just dawned on me that since my first hardrive is formatted in EXT3 and Mac can not write

to EXT3 then Mac is installing its bootloader in its root partition.