Problems installing on a Dell D830

qwerty7

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I got a Dell D830 from work and wanted to put MacOS (or even Linux on it.) I've got the uphuck 1.3 DVD and JaS's 10.4.8 with PPF1 and PPF2. Both get stuck at the same spot.

When booting with '-v debug=0x144 io=0xffffffff' the boot gets stuck at:

IOAPIC: Version 0x20 Vectors 0:23

Registering: ../io-apic@fec00000/AppleAPICInterruptController

config(3): creating

config(35e5050): terminating

Then it just hangs indefinitely...

The Dell D830 (and D630) use the new "Santa Rosa" chipset (Mobile Intel GM965 Express). Got any advice on how to proceed?

As a side note, I can't get FC7 or Ubuntu 7.04 to install either. The DVD drive just isn't visible under FC7 but it is under Ubuntu if I pass 'all_generic_ide' to the kernel. But then X can't start. Fun, fun, fun. :-)

Thanks in advance for any help.

ok, this is pretty much and APIC problem, which occurs in some computers depending on processor and mobo bios... try booting with 'platform=X86PC' and see what happens... if it works, go here to learn how to fix it permanently

or read below...

-----------------------------------------

here's the file. DL it to the desktop then move it (not paste) into '/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration'...

NOTE: you will have to remove the .txt; forum won't lemme upload .plist files... (use 'Get Info')

i'll restate for other's who may stop by...

hit 'F8' before the apple bootscreen... in the prompt, type 'platform=X86PC -x -v' (w/o quotes)... this loads into verbose-safemode with a 99.9% chance of loading (otherwise you must reinstall)... PM me if u need help guys...

forgot to mention... this one is already configured, and seeing as our machines are almost identical... it should work perfectly and cut your boot-time in half...

NOTE: should work on any Hackintosh...

com.apple.Boot.plist.txt

ok, this is pretty much and APIC problem, which occurs in some computers depending on processor and mobo bios... try booting with 'platform=X86PC' and see what happens... if it works, go here to learn how to fix it permanently

or read below...

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I tried booting with "platform=X86PC" and and "platform=ACPI". Same problems although the output changes slightly with "platform=ACPI".

Looking at that file you provided, it looks like you're just passing platform=X86PC and -legacy (which IIRC boot the kernel in 32bit mode.)

So unfortunately, it looks like I'm a bit outta luck for the moment. :-)

Thanks for the help, though.

well, it looks as though u may have to reinstall... it would appear that some extra kexts loaded during setup and are screwing the kernel... if i were u (and i was 3x) i would try a fresh (formatted) install and only install necessary kexts (skip audio/video and SSE3)... this should hopefully work... there's always a way!

well, it looks as though u may have to reinstall... it would appear that some extra kexts loaded during setup and are screwing the kernel... if i were u (and i was 3x) i would try a fresh (formatted) install and only install necessary kexts (skip audio/video and SSE3)... this should hopefully work... there's always a way!

I'm sorry I wasn't more clear... The messages I stated above were from the boot DVD. I can't even get to the point of installing. :-)

Just a quick update. I was able to install via VMWare and get chain0 booting working via the Vista boot loader. No networking or sound yet and there is no chance of support for the X3100 graphics until hopefully the 10.4.10 release (crossing fingers. :-))

On the plus side, both cores are working fine which was an unexpected surprise.