Need driver for KCORP KLG-520 under 10.4.6 x86

Tidus Johnson

2 posts in this topic

Hello everybody!

I tell you, the smug feelings i get thinking about Mac fanboys when running Mac OS on a PC Laptop are great! I've installed 10.4.6 on my Advent 7002 testbed laptop, of the following spec:

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz CPU (400MHz FSB)

512MB SD-RAM DDR (2x256)

11.2GB Hitachi hard drive (i know, i need a bigger one...but, this one's doing well, i've installed tons of apps, and still seem to have loads of space! Mac OS X seems so much more space efficient compared to Windows!)

16MB ATi Mobility M6 graphics

Intel i845 Springdale chipset

RealTek 8139 Ethernet

I'm in the middle of d/l'ing 10.4.9, but in the meantime, i need help with a little problem. The onboard Ethernet works great, but i need to get this baby wireless. I have a KCORP KLG-520 PCMCIA WLAN card, and i can't seem to find drivers for it, apart from the OrangeWare Wireless Driver 3.3, which is paid for, and the trial doesn't work. It creates a configuration icon in System Preferences, but i get the message:

"Preferences Error"

"You cannot open Wireless Configuration preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version."

OK, that explains the error! But why can't it run? It IS the latest version! I may be answering my own question here, but is it because this is a hacked Mac?

Is there any other driver that will work with the Atheros chipset? A free one, hopefully! I was going to pay the $15 fee if it worked, it isn't really much, because then you seem to get free upgrades.

Other than that, my Mac experience is going really well. One other question: My graphics don't seem to have a driver, because the Screensaver preferences, and the Chess game both bomb out, and my Display in System Profiler shows as a "VGA Compatible Controller", with 128MB RAM!

The Vendor shows as "ATI (0x01002)

I installed the ATI Mobility support on installation, but is there any other things i can do?

Hello everybody!

I tell you, the smug feelings i get thinking about Mac fanboys when running Mac OS on a PC Laptop are great! I've installed 10.4.6 on my Advent 7002 testbed laptop, of the following spec:

Pentium 4 1.8 GHz CPU (400MHz FSB)

512MB SD-RAM DDR (2x256)

11.2GB Hitachi hard drive (i know, i need a bigger one...but, this one's doing well, i've installed tons of apps, and still seem to have loads of space! Mac OS X seems so much more space efficient compared to Windows!)

16MB ATi Mobility M6 graphics

Intel i845 Springdale chipset

RealTek 8139 Ethernet

I'm in the middle of d/l'ing 10.4.9, but in the meantime, i need help with a little problem. The onboard Ethernet works great, but i need to get this baby wireless. I have a KCORP KLG-520 PCMCIA WLAN card, and i can't seem to find drivers for it, apart from the OrangeWare Wireless Driver 3.3, which is paid for, and the trial doesn't work. It creates a configuration icon in System Preferences, but i get the message:

"Preferences Error"

"You cannot open Wireless Configuration preferences pane on this computer. Contact the developer of this software for a newer version."

OK, that explains the error! But why can't it run? It IS the latest version! I may be answering my own question here, but is it because this is a hacked Mac?

Is there any other driver that will work with the Atheros chipset? A free one, hopefully! I was going to pay the $15 fee if it worked, it isn't really much, because then you seem to get free upgrades.

Other than that, my Mac experience is going really well. One other question: My graphics don't seem to have a driver, because the Screensaver preferences, and the Chess game both bomb out, and my Display in System Profiler shows as a "VGA Compatible Controller", with 128MB RAM!

The Vendor shows as "ATI (0x01002)

I installed the ATI Mobility support on installation, but is there any other things i can do?

An update: I managed to get 10.4.8 running on this hunk o' junk, after several tries, even then, it didn't last long. I wiped the drive, installed 10.4.8, finished, rebooted, this is the JaS release, with a Semthex kernel (apparently Semthex is a liar, from what i've been reading, so it's probably a JaS kernel, or one of Kiko's, or netkas's :P). Upon reboot, it got to the Apple screen, the HD ground away for a bit, then something weird happened....the screen froze, a black horizontal bar appeared, as though the GPU had locked up and out, then the screen disintegrated to white.....after this....nothing.

I re-attempted with different options each time, and finally got it going this afternoon. Once it was running, i applied the JaS 10.4.9 patch...now it just flashes the Apple screen for half a second, and reboots, constantly.

I give up on the AdventMac. I'll either keep it as a 10.4.6 or 10.4.7 testbed....10.4.8/9 is going on my wife's Dell Inspiron 5150, the nVIDIA GeForce Go5200 graphics are better supported, from the configs i've seen on the x86 project wiki.

Either that, or i'll get a real Mac. I really want to help with this project, but have only limited C++ knowledge, and slightly better REALbasic/Visual Basic knowledge!