Midi is Silent on MacBook

Knacker

9 posts in this topic

I can't play midi on my macbook. I first noticed the problem a while ago, when I would go into the midi config and try to test the midi, no sound would come out. this wasn't important to me back then as I wasn't at that time using the MacBook for audio creation.

But now that I've got logic, and I see how much of an awesome recording app it really is, I need to get my midi working. I have no idea what the problem could be, but it seems like it was like this since I first installed Mac OS X 10.4.

Should I be able to hear midi music when I click the "Test Setup" button in Audio Midi Setup at all? What should I see? All I see right now is an "IAC Driver" and something called "Network". IAC Driver has no configurable options besdies "Drivers is online".

What could be wrong here?

I can't play midi on my macbook. I first noticed the problem a while ago, when I would go into the midi config and try to test the midi, no sound would come out. this wasn't important to me back then as I wasn't at that time using the MacBook for audio creation.

But now that I've got logic, and I see how much of an awesome recording app it really is, I need to get my midi working. I have no idea what the problem could be, but it seems like it was like this since I first installed Mac OS X 10.4.

Should I be able to hear midi music when I click the "Test Setup" button in Audio Midi Setup at all? What should I see? All I see right now is an "IAC Driver" and something called "Network". IAC Driver has no configurable options besdies "Drivers is online".

What could be wrong here?

You need to plug in an external MIDI device (eg. a synth), otherwise logic will use internal audio,

So the mac has no built-in midi or is there some reason I can't use my main speakers for synth?

Of course you can; every time you use a software instrument in Logic or GBand, you are playing through the midi synth. You just don't need to set it up as an external device.

I guess I'm going to have to sound like an idiot here, but how do I set it up to use the built-in midi synth?

Of course you can; every time you use a software instrument in Logic or GBand, you are playing through the midi synth. You just don't need to set it up as an external device.

Also, the problem here is that I can't hear anything when I try to use a software instrument, even on default config.

Do you have regular audio? What codec&patch are you using?

Yes, I have audio out of VLC and iTunes, and I can record actual audio in Logic. As for your second question... I have no idea.

When the play-line (not sure what it's called) scrubs over where the midi events are located in the player, the little VU meter thing reacts just like it would on recorded audio, and it reacts differently whether the instrument should have a sustain on it or not EG it falls off gradually, so I suspect the audio is being processed.

I just can't hear anything.

EDIT:

I just downloaded this program to test out my midi, to see if another software app could access my midi controller...

http://www.ronimusic.com/swmipl.htm

And it can play midi using quicktime's synth just fine, but it says that it can't detect any midi device on my system. Is this right? If it is right, can I somehow use quicktime's synth in logic?

OK, sounds like the problem is with your Logic preferences not set correctly. Make sure you have core audio enabled and the midi section is set up correctly. Which mobo are you using, and how did you get sound working on it? I'm away from my logic box right now, I'll check the setup later.

meanwhile try:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=300897

http://www.petethomas.co.uk/logic-getting-started.html

OK, I figured it out. I thought that the macbook had a built-in hardware midi device, like most PCs.... I also didn't know about the clover-8 environment setup system.

I am now playing midi and composing without any problems at all.

I thought there was something seriously wrong with my system; I thought that my midi was malfunctioning.

Well, t hank you, I now feel like a complete jackass.