Powerbook vs. macbook

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I unfortunately just bought a hp and HATE VISTA, friend gave me an ibook, i fixed it and LOVE MAC. My only question as i save all the pennies i can find in the house and on the road, is while looking for a macbook so i can run xp for school. Why do the powerbooks seem to be higher priced than the macbooks, with not as much (stuff) processor speed and what not???? Just curious and the powerbooks are they capable of running xp such as the macbooks, thanks guys and hope to join the boards with my new apple. :whistle:

boomer

OK. MacBook, or a Pro version are x86 EFI based Macs, that can run XP and Vista natively using Boot Camp. They are very cool, can run Leopard with 64 bit apps and the stuff like this. But PowerBook is a PPC based old fashion mac, that can run only minimum of XP in Virtual PC 7. I think that even if you don't have enough money for a MacBook Pro, you'd better buy a MacBook than a PowerBook. PowerBook can still support Leopard when it somes out, but what will be next????? And you may want to play some Windows only games, you would need a Boot Camp and a CD or C2D based Mac.

I was going with the macbook and possibly the pro depending on if i can wait and save enough money for it :P, i was just curious, but yeah the i will want to be able to run xp for my school stuff. Thank you for your response, it just caught my eye that most powerbooks were more expensive and i was just curious as to why. Thanks again.

Boomer

Well, the powerbook is the PPC predecessor to the macbook pro... The ibook is the predecessor to the macbook. If you want to make price comparisons(or any kind of comparison) between the generations of macs, you need to know this.

Anyway, it's better to buy a new MacBook, or much better to buy a Pro, than PowerBook. The era of PPC is over.