Strange startup problem(fixed)

rabid9797

16 posts in this topic

So i recently installed uphuck 1.3 on my centrino duo machine. i made sure i used the right packages, and kernel(universal kernal 3, although i did try another installation with sse3-2), but no matter what i do i keep ketting this same situation:

So i install, and everything works perfectly up until the computer restarts after install. I get the boot screen, choose Darwin, etc. Get the gray mac startup screen, and then what i assume is the OS X background wallpaper, but then nothing else. No login window, no startup splash, just nada. the computer stops working and just hangs there(not frozen, just not doing anything). I have no mouse and no way to do anything.

I've tried starting up in verbose mode to see if there are any problems, but i can't see anything out of the ordinary.

can anyone help me?

FIXED.

as soon as your bios finishes its stuff but before the gray screen, fit F8, when it gives you boot command prompt, type '-v' (w/o quotes) to see what it hangs on... once you know, message me and i'll get to work (won't be avail. till monday @ 8).

you can tryentering this AFTER you find out where it is ffreezing... hit F8 in same spot as first time, in cmd-line, type 'platform=X86PC -x -v' ('platform=X86PC'=attempts to bypass ACPI; x=safemode; v=verbose display). if this works, try booting with 'platform=X86PC -v', if this works, then you have solved your problem... you can edit com.Apple.boot.plist to have your system boot to 'platform=X86PC' by default... i'll be glad to help...

NOTE: if it does not go into the apple boot screen (white-ish w/ apple in center and progress circle below the apple, then your kernel if most likely bad... double check that your cpu supports sse3 and only install packages for hardware you have, if it does not go to the apple boot screen, then you have installed an incorrect kext/package.

thanks for the help penguin_loco, but it didn't solve the problem =\

i took the time to get a video(and pictures) of the bootup sequence and the blue screen i keep talking about, here are the pictures(in sequence). I will get the video up later when i can get it down from 33 MB.

vlc1.png

As you can see, i get a bootup screen just fine,

vlc2.png

Than it goes into loading things, and i get a long list of these hfs+files(becuase of verbose and safe mode i assume)

vlc3.png

Than it goes into regular startup(with verbose), here the white screen with the apple icon would usually appear. Everything continues to startup normally(i assume) with no hangs or errors that i can see and then i get this:

vlc4.png

a blue screen. of course, the camera adds the distortion with discolored circle, but thats about the gradient. its not a blue screen like an error or freeze, it just sits there and the cpu continues to work for sometime and then goes quiet too. I have no mouse or other access to the computer of any kind, i have to do a hard restart to restart the computer.

i hope this is a little more helpful. :P

lol... so close. the loginwindow10.4.4patch is needed for ur install. it should be on ur install dvd... i hate for u to have to reinstall (not completely, just update and add the loginwindow patch)... oh well,, atleast i know what prob is

One more post, i know this is my third or fourth post in a row, but i just wanted to thank all the people in this thread, targua, slippyretard, and all the countless other posters for their tips and knowledge for helping me to get my hackitosh working. i finally have video, sound, and ethernet(wireless card has no support but thats ok!) working, and am now completley satisfied.

thanks to everyone! this forum has been a huge help :)