TROUBLESHOOT: blank screen

jazn54

5 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I'm having trouble with the os installation. I have a 3 boot setup. First I installed windows, then linux and then finally mac. When the os tried to start for the first time after the installation, it didn't reach the desktop. It goes blank right after the loading screen (gray apple). Any common problems?

System

Dell Optiplex gx260

P4 1.7mhz

video: ATI 9800 pro agp

try booting with '-v' (as soon as bios finishes, hit F8 until you see a darwin prompt.. then type '-v' to see the processes so you can find the problem... you can also boot into safe-mode '-x' (w/o quotes, of course). if that doesn't work, you may have to reinstall...

REMEMBER: never install a kext (in windows jargon: driver) you don't need... if you are using the JaS DVD, only select options for hardware you have... installing extra stuff doesn't help you but will cause your system to freeze... if you did this you may wanna reinstall

also: check out this post, it is very similar... you both may need to do the same thing...

just got another thought... if you installed graphics options/kexts for your card... try reinstalling OS X w/o them... it will lower you resolution but atleast you will have a mac!