Problems with Parallels 3.0 on MBP

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys, long time reader, few time poster here.

I did the whole hackintosh thing on my old Dell e1705 a while back. Worked perfectly. Since then, I've fallen in love w/ OSX and got a MPB C2D x1600.

I installed boot camp (XP Pro) on it just fine. I used Parallels 2.5 perfectly even being able to play FFVII through it.

I made the mistake of upgrading to parallels 3.0 last week and since then everything has gone down hill.

1st, parallels messed with my boot.ini file (which its supposed to do) to create its own configuration of the boot camp partition. When I would try to boot from it (not using parallels), it would say that a file, Hal.dll was missing. I've since run the XP cd to fix that and delete the configuration from the boot.ini file.

Now, Parallels won't get past the black screen. Its edited the boot.ini file again and shows the screen, and then immediately selects it and goes to a black screen. I think its trying to boot it, but its stuck for some reason. I've deleted the pvs file in OSX and and recreated it, and it still is stuck at a black screen.

Any ideas?

BTW....I've tested VMware fusion 4. It works, but for some reason won't let me play FFVII or DoW: Dark Crusade...I guess it needs DX9.

BTW....I've tested VMware fusion 4. It works, but for some reason won't let me play FFVII or DoW: Dark Crusade...I guess it needs DX9.

http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

VMware Fusion also includes cutting-edge 3D technology that enables you to play select DirectX 8.1 games on your Mac.

http://www.vmware.com/products/beta/fusion...sion.html#games

Games Compatible with VMware Fusion Experimental 3-D Acceleration

VMware testing has determined that the following games, running in Windows XP Service Pack 2 virtual machines, are playable with VMware Fusion experimental 3-D acceleration:

* Aliens vs. Predator Demo

* Breath of Fire IV

* Grand Theft Auto III (Tip: Set the Display Setup option Trails to OFF.)

* Hitman 2

* Lord of the Realms III

* Max Payne 1

* Max Payne 2

* Need for Speed Porsche Demo

* RalliSport Challenge

* Tony Hawk 3

* X-2 Rolling Demo

The fixed-function tests in 3dMark2001 operate successfully in Windows XP Service Pack 2 virtual machines with VMware Fusion experimental 3-D acceleration.

3-D acceleration does not work on Macs that use the Intel GMA 950 graphic chipset.