What Video Drviers To Use?

masterjonyn

3 posts in this topic

Okay I'm really new to this OSX86 thing and the closest I've ever come is just an install in VMWare.

Now I'm trying to make it do a native install on my Dell XPS laptop, and I can't really get it to work right.

If I use the JaS DVD I ALWAYS seem to get the error "Please restart your computer..." no matter what combination of patches I use, so I'm trying it with the Uphuck DVD. Now with the Uphuck DVD I managed to get it installed but it performs awfully, really slow, the dock flickers when I hover over things, and when I drag a window only the shadow outline stays and the rest dissapears and wont come back until I move my mouse over the window.

Now I dont really know much about OSX (okay thats a lie, I dont know anything), but if I got that kind of problem on Windows I'd assume it was a video driver, so that brings me to my question, whats the best video driver I should use when installing it. When installing using the Uphuck 1.3 DVD I get about 4 options and I'm not entirely sure what to pick, last time I chose the NVidia mobility one which didn't seem to work very well.... My system spec is --->

Manufacturer: Dell Inc.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T7400 (2.16 GHz, 4 MB L2 Cache, 667 FSB)

Memory: 2048MB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM (2x1024)

Hard Drive: 120 GB (5,400 rpm) SATA Hard Drive + 250 GB (7,200 RPM) USB Hard Drive + 160 GB (5,400 RPM) USB Passport Drive

Video Card: XPS 512MB NVIDIA GeForce Go 7900 GTX (550 Mhz)

Monitor: 17" WUXGA UltraSharp Monitor (1920x1200) With TrueLife

Sound Card: SigmaTel High Defenition Audio

Speakers/Headphones: Creative Inspire P5800 5.1 Speakers / Creative HS600 Headset

Keyboard: Standard 102 Key (Built into laptop)

Mouse: Logitech G5 Laser Mouse (2000 dpi)

Mouse Surface: Desk

Operating System: Genuine (!) Windows Vista Ultimate (Version 6.0 Build 6000)

(Sorry for the copy and past from my XFire profile but cba to write it)

Basically, if you had that system

a ) What video driver would you use

b ) What kernel would you use

And is there anything else on the Uphuck DVD that I really should have for my system?

Sorry for the bombardment of questions...but when I said I'm new to this, I meant it :rolleyes:

Cheers

x

It's a 512mb card, so you need to flash your ROM. Search around for how to do that. For now, you can try Natit (search) but it probably won't work until the ROM is flashed.