RTL8139 weirdness?

Tophicles

4 posts in this topic

... ok, so here's the low-down.

I have an integrated RTL8139 (vendor=10ec, device=8139) on my notebook.

I have tried, unsuccessfully to get this thing to recognize. Here's what I've done so far:

-Replaced IONetworkingFamily.kext with the one from 10.4.3.

-edited the plist in the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext to match my device ID (didn't need to, it was already there).

-replaced the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext with serveral different versions, all to no avail.

My wifi card, no she a-work like magic....

Strange days indeed.... any pointers?

Tophicles

This Is how I got my realtek 8139 working:

Hi, I installed tubgirl 10.4.8 with 6th may ppf. works very fast on my

MSI K8N Neo4 mobo with AMD 3500+ venice core processor (2x512mb ram) and an nvidia 6200TC videocard.

Only one thing: the onboard nic worked out of the box from the start with the forcedeth driver. however I have a PCI realtke 8139 nic, that worked fine under 10.4.5 but didn't work with 10.4.9.

Found this on the forum:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=35380

hower after I downloaded the driver and did what the the install file said:

sudo su

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

still no network, after some messing around found solution:

sudo su

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext

rm -R /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/RealtekR1000.kext

cp -R <path to>/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/

chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

chmod -R 755 /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/Plugins/PCGenRTL8139Ethernet.kext

touch /System/Library/Extensions

shutdown -r now

And now my realtek is working

Thanks for the suggestion! I gave it a shot and lo and behold the adapter shows up in the list and is configureable (the verbose mode boot shows it's MAC address).

... however, as soon as I try to apply the changes in System Preferences, the computer locks up and I have to forcibly reboot with the good old power switch.

I noticed in your text that it's for kernel 8.8.1. I am running 8.9.1, perhaps it's just not written for that kernel or something. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion and if anyone else has any ideas, please, shout em out :)

tophicles

HCL Database

ok, nm, me = rushing dumbass ;)

I forgot the part about removing the AppleRTL8139Ethernet.kext if I am going to use the PCGen version.

Working 100% Perfectly now! THANKS!!!!

I'm going to add the entry to the HCL database now!!