How Much SYSTEM Memory (3 Gb or 4 Gb)

3 posts in this topic

I know that the MAX memory on my iMac is suppoed to be 3 Gb, and some do say 4 Gb, but I'd like to know if I put 4 Gb in the iMac, if it would help me for my VM situations....

What I mean is, say 3 Gb is max system memory on an iMac, I make a 1 Gb max ram for a VMWare or Parallels desktop, leaveing 2 Gb for the OS X....would 4 Gb system memory allow the same specs as above to increase the system memory to be 3 Gb?

Or, as I've read, the system (iMac) can only recognize 3, not 4...so, what to do?

Referencing your reply, and although you are correct, I'd still like to get some sort of an 'official' response to know what to buy.

re:

Apple's Intel processor Mac models use "one of the fastest memory technologies available today—667 MHz, double data rate (DDR2), synchronous dynamic random-access memory (SDRAM). It ensures high performance and reliability by synchronizing memory speed with the speed of the central processor so that data can be delivered continuously and more rapidly to the processor. And if both slots are loaded with an equal amount of RAM, you can take advantage of the system's dual-channel memory architecture for an additional performance boost. With a dual-channel memory interface, both banks of SDRAM can be addressed at the same time, enabling Intel based Mac systems to reach a memory throughput of up to 10.7 GBps."

The above quoted portion is from Apple's website.

"To Pair or Not to Pair" (Updated May 31st, 2007)

The models Apple recommends paired memory for all have the Intel GMA950 integrated video chipset in common. Of note is that rather than having its own dedicated Video Memory, the GMA950 shares its 64MB VRAM allocation for the main system memory.

All of Apple's current Core 2 Duo Models (same is true between Core Duo equipped Mac models) share the same processor bus and memory controller. It is only the models with GMA950 which Apple recommends the pairs for and from that we'd infer the recommendation is related to impact on video performance.

The bottom line? The results of testing did not support Apple's recommendation and rather make it very clear that in addition to the potential economic advantages, there are real performance advantages to having more memory - even if it means not having a pair. It is our recommendation to upgrade memory, be it one at a time or with a pair, or to 3.0GB - based on what you need and what your budget allows.

Full referencing web ad is here.....and I still don't know...

http://eshop.macsales.com/Reviews/Framewor..._benchorig.html