[Updated] D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G+ DWL-G650+

3 posts in this topic

Hello,

So I install OS X 10.4.7 (JaS) the other day on my IBM ThinkPad T40, however there was no wireless due to drivers not being available for the Intel PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B which the ThinkPad has.

I was speaking to my cousin earlier and he said that if I wanted I could have an old, yet unused D-Link AirPlus Xtreme G+ DWL-G650+ PCMCIA card to use if I wanted it. However, I was just wondering if this is actually compatible with OSx86, since when I have looked around on the net it only seems to list compatibility for Windows 98 and onwards. I was just wondering if anyone knows if it works or not?

I look forward to reading a reply.

Regards,

Max.

Hello,

Just a quick update. Sadly the PCMCIA Card did not function correctly in OS X 10.4.7, so I have ordered a Wireless USB Dongle off Ebuyer and have already downloaded the corresponding Mac Driver to make it function correctly. I will post again once it has arrived, hopefully all of my Mac OS X woes will be finished by then.

Regards,

Max.

Hello,

The Wireless USB Dongle I bought off Ebuyer arrived at midday yesterday and I have to say, I am pretty impressed with it. I was suprised to see at first that the one that came in the package wasn't the one that I had ordered but a newer one, I called Ebuyer to learn that infact Ebuyer had ran out of the one I had bought months ago and managed to secure the newer model at the same price as the previous one and so I recieved the BlueNEXT BN-WD54G Wireless USB Dongle instead of another.

I unwrapped it and downloaded the driver for the current model to my laptop via a connection to my router via a Cat-5 Cable. Installed them and rebooted, they didn't work. So I thought it might be due to the 10.4.7 problem with USB ports since I had yet to upgrade mine to USB 2.0 and it said on the box that the Dongle is USB 2.0 only. Rebooted and guess what it still didn't work.

I decided that I would take a gamble and install the driver for the older model and after I rebooted the Dongle was instantly recognised. I have to use the Application from the newer driver set to connect to my router (something which I am currently trying to rectify) to get it to work, whilst a utility from the older driver set activates the Dongle on boot (I quit the utility after boot). So over all I am pretty happy with the result, I can now sit around the house and get full connectivity, even out in my garden. It also blends in with my ThinkPad T40 quite well which is a bonus.

In total it cost me £17, £9 for the Dongle and £8 for next day delivery. The Dongle itself when bought from the manufacturer is £20 + postage, so I got it for a bargin and the best thing is it is OSx86 compatible!

Time to end all of your wireless woes, oh and did I fail to mention there is documentation on the manufacturer to build it in to your motherboard in both Laptops and PCs? :)

Happy WiFi-ing.

Regards,

Max.

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/115832