wierd ntfs prob

drunknbass

7 posts in this topic

out of nowhere my ntfs drives acted up.

they show as readable and writable but i cant drag files from os x to the ntfs drives. i even upgraded to the latest macfuse, ntfs-3g and all of that stuff and it made no difference.

i can create a folder in an ntfs drive and it seems to work (i havent restarted into windows to see if its really there)

but if i drag a file into a ntfs drive it says i dont have sufficient privileges to complete the operation.

I can't help you to fix your ntfs-problems, but here is my advice: Just forget about ntfs. As far as i know, its working already somehow, and maybe it's also safe to write to NTFS from Mac (how to do it you may know better than me). But is it worth the hassle? Just use a FAT32 Partition which ALL OSes can read beautifully to and be happy. Don't try to force the poor MacOS into something it was never intended to do :)

In fact, i like it that my hackint0sh can't write to NTFS, because that way my Data on my NTFS drives cannont be touched if anything goes wrong on OSx86.

well i like to keep certain files on my vista partition. and i like to move them around. id hate to have a middle partition used as a middle man when i swap the files over. and id have to keep logging back and forth to transfer alot unless that fat32 partition was really big.

plus from all my expierence fat32 file transfer is super slow compared to ntfs

I am having the exact same problem. My NTFS drives show Read and Write priviledges untill I try to write. I can create folders but not files. I have re-installed Fuse and NTFS-3G and cleared my driver cache. Any help would be appreciated.

I have done some more troubleshooting and discovered that I can copy files just fine in Terminal mode (both as sudo and user) but can't from Finder! I can also edit and Save files on the drive from an app like TextWrangler. I simply can't copy with Finder even though I can delete! Anyone experience this odd behavior :hysterical:

I have found a workaround the Finder copying problem. I tried Disk Order which is a Finder replacement and that works fine. It has a 2-window commander-style interface which I prefer anyway. I'd still like to understand the underlying problem however.

• 4 months later...