Unable to install OSX?

Memzee

24 posts in this topic

Hi, after reading numerous guides from the Wiki I managed to set up my hard drive to dual boot XP and OS X. I'm using the Mac OS X 10.4.8 [JaS AMD-Intel-SSE2-SSE3 with PPF1 & PPF2].iso burned onto a DVD, and I've selected which additional extras I think I need (the JaS AMD driver, Canon Printer Driver and nVidia generic card driver in my case).

During installation, it checks the installation disk - that reaches 100% with no problems. It then begins to install, gets past the first stage and then I get the message "There were errors installing the software - please try installing again". If I try and boot OS X I get the grey screen asking me to restart in different languages.

Any ideas?

My specs are:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (MMX+, 3DNow!+, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, x86-64

ASUSTeK A8N-E Motherboard (nVidia nForce 4 Chipset)

nVidia GeForce 6800 LE graphics card

Maxtor 6L250S0 ATA-133 250GB HD

DDR-400 1024MB RAM

Let me know if I've left anything out - I really want to get this working if I can!

Thanks very much. :)

PS - Just for the record. I have tried reading through the wiki, forum, and searching but I can't seem to find a solution.

OK thanks. I don't have the ISO anymore as I deleted it when I wiped my drive clean. I'm downloading another copy now (the one with 10.4.9 update), but in the mean time I have made an image of my existing disk and mounted it with Alcohol.

Is there any point in me trying to install through VMWare? I don't really know how to use VMWare, and I just tried, managed to get into darwin etc. but when I open up Disk Utility I can only see the 'virtual drive' I set in VMWare, and not the partition I have set for the OS X install.

EDIT: I made an image of the boot DVD, mounted it with Alcohol and installed it using VMWare. Installation was successful, and told me (as part of the installation of the AMD driver) to press F* (I guess that means F8?) after the installation then type -v -s and then ./patcher 10.4.8.AMD.CPUID.txt.

I've done that, and it seems to load Darwin, and then I get the message

Singleuser boot -- fsck not done
Root device is mounted read-only

If you want to make modifications to files:
/sbin/fsck -fy
/sbin/mount -uw /

If you wish to boot the system, but stay in single user mode:
sh /etc/rc
-sh-2.05b#

I have no idea what that means. Sorry for being n00b ! :)

So, you were installing osx using vmware. Boot your installation as normal, just press enter when darwin appears, dont use -v -s boot flag yet.

You've mentioned about VMware. What you see now in your osx hdd under vmware is a virtual hard drive. its a file in your physical hard drive. it has a file extension of vhd. Meaning, you'll only access osx through vmware. With this setup you must have a lot of hardware resources, like memory and fast cpu.

But if were you, i should have installed osx using vmware, on a physical partition, instead of virtual hard drive. coz with this kind of setup, you will be able to boot osx natively. meaning you can boot it without using vmware.

About your disk utility query, when you reach Disk Utility just erase the virtual hard drive using "mac os extended (journaled)" format, And then proceed with the installation. And if an install error appears again, like the Please try installing again error, then you should now use another install dvd image.

If you wish to install osx in a physical partition, then you should set your virtual machine to use a physical partition as its hard drive. You should use Custom, when setting up a new virtual machine. And when you reach the dialog or window, where it asks what hard disk or partition to use, choose advance mode. And from there choose your preferred partition. This partition should be fat32 formatted or unformatted (raw).

***only use -v -s when you intend to use verbose mode and single user mode.

***for normal boot up, just press enter.

Sorry.. I should have made myself clearer. I've partitioned my drive 3 times. One for windows, one for OS x (which was done through diskpart in windows a la create partition primary id=af), and one for storage.

When setting up VMWare I chose custom and set it to use the partition i designated for the OS X install. I think I've set that up ok.

I was only using -v -s and the ./patcher etc. codes because the installer told me I should. Do I only have to do that once then?

So in VMWare when I enter the startup options in Darwin the startup volume is "hd(0,2) disk0s2", which as I understand is the physical partition I allocated for OS X, so I'm pretty sure I've installed OS X correctly on this partition.

If I just press enter instead of -v -s etc. then it just loads as normal. I get two yellow lines of text during the boot saying

"Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleUSBUHCI" and "Failed to load extension com.apple.driver.AppleUSBEHCI".

Actually, I think it's easier to explain if I just post a video ;)

http://memzee.googlepages.com/osx86boot.avi

What you meant was, you've partition your hdd in 3 partition, 3 parts, right?

Please check on this image for a clearer view of my vmware setup:

Here

That is my vmware setup.

My little hard disk was partitioned in 3 partition, the first one is where windows xp installed, the 2nd one is where my osx installed, the 3rd one is for data (in fat32 format).

When I customized my vmware virtual machine, I chose the 2nd physical partition and intalled osx in there.

Do not choose the entire hard drive, only one partition should you use.

Under VMWare, If you chose to install osx in a physical partition, there should only one hard disk appears under disk utility.

It should show you, disk0s1. Meaning, 1st partition in hard disk 1. And,

disk0s2, 2nd partition in hard disk 1.

Under Advance tab in hard disk settings, I chose independent.

Honesyly, its my first time to see the errors you were mentioning.

I guess you should try to boot osx natively and see if the same error appears.

Also try to check your vmware settings, using text editor, open .vmx file.

Try to include PAEVM="True" at the last line. and

set LSI to = False.

Yep that is what I meant.. 20GB for Windows, 20GB for OS X, and then 200GB for storage (which at the moment I've had to set as NTFS cos windows only gives me that option, but I'll reformat as Fat32 from OSX once it's sorted so I can access that partition both from OSX and Windows).

OK thanks very much for your help. I have set VMWare to use the 2nd physical partition already, OSX is installed on there, but I haven't tried the independant setting, or editing the VMX file. I'll try that when I get home. :lol:

PS - I think maybe those yellow errors could be USB driver issues? I guess that can be sorted once I get OS X working. I don't have any devices connected via USB at the moment except for the wireless mouse/keyboard and they work fine though. Blah - one problem at a time :P

Thanks again - I really appreciate this. I can feel that I'm close to getting it working, I checked all the hardware compatibility lists and it said that I should have no problems with my processor and motherboard etc. so fingers crossed !

:)

OK.. now I get a message from VMWare saying "Your virtual machine has sent an ATAPI (CD-ROM) command that is supported only when programming the drive via DMA. You need to configure your guest operating system to use DMA when communicating with DVD/CD-ROM devices.

Note that some operating systems will report DMA is available without actually using it. In those cases, normal CD-ROM operations will still be available, but special features will only be available if you reconfigure the virtual device as a SCSI device."

I click OK, and then it proceeds to boot. Then I get a whole lot of "family specific matching fails" messages in Darwin until it gets to "localhost configd[45]: No AirPort Driver found" and it just hangs.

What now? :(

For how long does it hang? If you wait a few minutes and it doesn't continue booting, boot with the -v (verbose) flag and post any errors you see (you can also avoid the hassle and take a screenshot after it hangs and put it up on imageshack.us).

yeah, marco is right post any images of the errors.

Anyway, Try to configure your physical hard disk in your bios settings to use dma mode instead of PIO.

Just continously tap F2 when your virtual machine is starting, you'll then reach your virtual bios settings.

Also in your Host OS, under Device Manage>IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers>Primay IDE Channel>Advance Settings>Transfer Mode, choose DMA If Available.

Try it, maybe It'll help.

If not, I think its time to install your osx natively.

Marco13185, I've left it for over 30 mins and it's still the same.

I tell you what, I'll go one better and post a video capture from VMWare later on. :)

boinkytwo, the transfer mode was set to 'DMA if available' already.

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it. :)

Maybe you should try to install natively...

See if same errors occur.

But try this if it will work. Base from my experience, I got hard drive related issues with this vmware settings (in bold text):

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
[b]scsi0.present = "TRUE"[/b]
memsize = "256"
MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Windows Vista (experimental).vmdk"
ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "J:\pnt-wvue.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
displayName = "Windows Vista (experimental)"
guestOS = "longhorn"
nvram = "Windows Vista (experimental).nvram"

ide0:0.redo = ""
uuid.location = "56 4d 8c 5f 1e c2 6a 09-89 59 9b 97 90 85 8b 97"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 8c 5f 1e c2 6a 09-89 59 9b 97 90 85 8b 97"

I solved the prob with this settings (in bold text):

config.version = "8"
virtualHW.version = "4"
[b]scsi0.present = "FALSE"[/b]
memsize = "256"
MemAllowAutoScaleDown = "FALSE"
ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
ide0:0.fileName = "Windows Vista (experimental).vmdk"
ide0:0.deviceType = "rawDisk"
ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
ide1:0.fileName = "J:\pnt-wvue.iso"
ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-image"
floppy0.present = "FALSE"
usb.present = "TRUE"
sound.present = "TRUE"
sound.virtualDev = "es1371"
sound.fileName = "-1"
sound.autodetect = "TRUE"
displayName = "Windows Vista (experimental)"
guestOS = "longhorn"
nvram = "Windows Vista (experimental).nvram"

ide0:0.redo = ""
uuid.location = "56 4d 8c 5f 1e c2 6a 09-89 59 9b 97 90 85 8b 97"
uuid.bios = "56 4d 8c 5f 1e c2 6a 09-89 59 9b 97 90 85 8b 97"

***You may also delete the whole line: scsi0.present = "TRUE"

***These settings is inside your .vmx file, open it with any text editor like notepad or wordpad.

OK I'm back to the same problem. Trying to install OS X natively. Completely clean install, from scratch, following your installation guide. It's all gravy until the OS X installation part. I'm back to getting 'unable to install' messages, and I've tried both 10.4.8 and 10.4.9 images burned on different dvd's, some -R.. some +R.. memorex, panasonic, you name it.

But.. I keep getting the same {censored} message. Starting to despair lol. It's obviously something to do with my setup or it's configuration but what? I have noticed, checking the bios, that my hard drive is set to the tertiary master.. don't know if that'll make a difference, but i can't seem to make it the primary master.

check the cable, make sure your hdd was attached to the primary channel.

for the intall issue, I think its a bad download. I encountered it before, re-downloading it solved the problem. I burned it on a dvd-rw. I used RW so as not to waste blank dvds in case of errors from the iso file or errors during burn process.

also try to burn the image file at 2x burn speed

I wish I could send you a dvd copy of mine

i think i have nearly the same problem but i don´t know how to fix it

i tried 4 different 10.4.8 images with a dvd-rw on burningspeed 2x

the dvd-rw looks really good (no damage), but i will try a new one tomorrow

my hardware should be supported but everytime i try to install i get at a random point the error that there was a problem during installation -.-' (restart,retry -.-)

does anyone have a tipp or something that could help me?

please i am trying this since one week

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I have finally solved the problem I have been having with "there were errors installing the software".

After a few hours of testing I finally got it to work.

In your bios you have to make sure your quick boot is disabled and any loading logos (graphics) are also disabled. The original DVD player that I started with now works and the installation went through with out a hitch.

:(:rolleyes::P