Core 2 duo toshiba BIOS

elgrullo420

9 posts in this topic

Any one who can help me out here it will be greatly apprecitated. I have a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5044 and with the help of this great forum I have succesfully Set up OSX 10.4.8 in a triple boot with Win XP media center and Ubuntu, I also got it running fine on VMWare. The problem i have is that the only way I can get it to run is be entering the laptop's BIOS and disabling the DUAL CORE CPU's. I also have to change the frequency setting from dynamically switching to always high and always low. this is very annoying to have to always be changing this every time I switch OS's. I have looked all over the forums and tried everything, I edited my com.apple.boot.plist file and added cpus=1, platform=OSX86 and no luck. any help would be greatly apprecitated.

this notebook has an Intel Core 2 duo T7200 cpu, an intel 950 graphics chip, 2gb ram and a 120 gb IDE hard drive...

:D

I forgot to mention if I leave the system bios as Default, i always get the same Kernel panic is says local APIC error and i get a CPU error before that. this error is the same with th eboot switches or without. If i don't use verbose mode i get the typical apple kernel panic that has the big power sign on the screen saying to reboot my computer thanks again...

Any one who can help me out here it will be greatly apprecitated. I have a Toshiba Satellite U205-S5044 and with the help of this great forum I have succesfully Set up OSX 10.4.8 in a triple boot with Win XP media center and Ubuntu, I also got it running fine on VMWare. The problem i have is that the only way I can get it to run is be entering the laptop's BIOS and disabling the DUAL CORE CPU's. I also have to change the frequency setting from dynamically switching to always high and always low. this is very annoying to have to always be changing this every time I switch OS's. I have looked all over the forums and tried everything, I edited my com.apple.boot.plist file and added cpus=1, platform=OSX86 and no luck. any help would be greatly apprecitated.

this notebook has an Intel Core 2 duo T7200 cpu, an intel 950 graphics chip, 2gb ram and a 120 gb IDE hard drive...

:)

I forgot to mention if I leave the system bios as Default, i always get the same Kernel panic is says local APIC error and i get a CPU error before that. this error is the same with th eboot switches or without. If i don't use verbose mode i get the typical apple kernel panic that has the big power sign on the screen saying to reboot my computer thanks again...

I have an intel core2 duo t5500 with intel 950 graphics chip, 2 gb ram and 120 gb sata. When i get 10.4.7 rebundled installed. When I boot up in safe mode it works but if i go into regular mode all i see is a white, gray and black screen!! Any suggestions would help. I am doing a triple boot with osx, ubuntu, media center!!

Ok i believe i posted this post originally in the wrong place so sorry but here is my conclusion:

alright for anyone out there that might have this same hardware i do i finally got this up and running. it runs extremely fast on my toshiba notebook!!! even with 1 core disabled from my core 2 duo, it literally FLIES!!!

this is the only way i was able to get this up and running:

my hard disk has 3 partitions 1 for windows XP media center 1 for Tiger osx86 and 1 small partition for Ubuntu (plus linux swap, actually 4)

i booted into windows and created a virutal machine in VMware that actually uses partition 2 (which i formated in Ubuntu using cfdisk, i just created a partition and under type i put AF)

within VM Ware i booted from my JaS 10.4.8 DVD with ppf1 and ppf2

i did a complete install. once install finished, instead of rebooting in Vmware i shut down vmware.

rebooted my toshiba and went into the bios. Under CPU frequence Switching has to be sent to always low!!!

the dual core CPU has to be Disabled!!

saved my bios, (I had already previously configured Grub to boot to mac OS X when i used to have the deadmoo image so my grub file looks something like this:

title: Mac OS X tiger 10.4.8

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

maybe i mispelled something but it's something like that.

I also had to hit F8 really fast to change boot options but after booting I was able to modify my com.apple.boot.plist file and add the following arguments:

platform=X86PC cpus=1 -v

i installed the intel gma 950 support from the Jas DVD and my display works beautifully, only no dual display yet.

still don't have network going but i'm working on it!!!

horray...i am no longer considering shooting myself!!!!

:whistle:

Hey bullfrog:

for your issue i suggest you verify what video chip your notebook has and try to install support for that chip. the jas release that i have has support for Nvidia and Ati chips ( i think its called titan or something like that) intel 900 and 950 )

when you run the installer look under where it says common hardware drivers or something like that, check if ou find the drivers for your chipset there.

you might also want to update the mach_kernel to verison 8.8.1, i was lucky enough to have in included on the JaS dvd i obtained ...

P.S. don't install the 10.4.9 update as i just did and it ruined my installation, now everything locks up as soon as the system boots

Ok i believe i posted this post originally in the wrong place so sorry but here is my conclusion:

alright for anyone out there that might have this same hardware i do i finally got this up and running. it runs extremely fast on my toshiba notebook!!! even with 1 core disabled from my core 2 duo, it literally FLIES!!!

this is the only way i was able to get this up and running:

my hard disk has 3 partitions 1 for windows XP media center 1 for Tiger osx86 and 1 small partition for Ubuntu (plus linux swap, actually 4)

i booted into windows and created a virutal machine in VMware that actually uses partition 2 (which i formated in Ubuntu using cfdisk, i just created a partition and under type i put AF)

within VM Ware i booted from my JaS 10.4.8 DVD with ppf1 and ppf2

i did a complete install. once install finished, instead of rebooting in Vmware i shut down vmware.

rebooted my toshiba and went into the bios. Under CPU frequence Switching has to be sent to always low!!!

the dual core CPU has to be Disabled!!

saved my bios, (I had already previously configured Grub to boot to mac OS X when i used to have the deadmoo image so my grub file looks something like this:

title: Mac OS X tiger 10.4.8

rootnoverify (hd0,1)

makeactive

chainloader +1

maybe i mispelled something but it's something like that.

I also had to hit F8 really fast to change boot options but after booting I was able to modify my com.apple.boot.plist file and add the following arguments:

platform=X86PC cpus=1 -v

i installed the intel gma 950 support from the Jas DVD and my display works beautifully, only no dual display yet.

still don't have network going but i'm working on it!!!

horray...i am no longer considering shooting myself!!!!

Hey bullfrog:

for your issue i suggest you verify what video chip your notebook has and try to install support for that chip. the jas release that i have has support for Nvidia and Ati chips ( i think its called titan or something like that) intel 900 and 950 )

when you run the installer look under where it says common hardware drivers or something like that, check if ou find the drivers for your chipset there.

you might also want to update the mach_kernel to verison 8.8.1, i was lucky enough to have in included on the JaS dvd i obtained ...

P.S. don't install the 10.4.9 update as i just did and it ruined my installation, now everything locks up as soon as the system boots

I got it to finally work!! I have the 10.4.7 install that has been repacked off from demonoid.com. I installed osx first on a 30gb partition but you have to go to customize and select the basic stuff, ubuntu next 1 20gb and 1 2gb swap, then win xp media center 50+ gb. i edited the grub boot loader to boot all 3! Then booted into osx in safe mode (-x) then installed the gma 900 patch from here http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/iGMA.html

it worked and i didn't have to do the paper clip trick either!!

It works really great now I just have to get the intel ethernet up and running and then hopefully someday i can get the intel wireless card to work when a driver comes out!! Its super fast and everything and i didn't have to disable either core!!

I believe there is a INel driver for the intel pro 2200 and the INtel 8945, i have the 8945 and the driver installed and recognizes my wireless card as an ethernet adapter (as if it was a wired adapter) but when i use the network selector application i can't see the SSID of my WLan. Ill keep trying and keep posted...

I believe there is a INel driver for the intel pro 2200 and the INtel 8945, i have the 8945 and the driver installed and recognizes my wireless card as an ethernet adapter (as if it was a wired adapter) but when i use the network selector application i can't see the SSID of my WLan. Ill keep trying and keep posted...

I thought i had intel ethernet also but i don't i have the realtek 8139 its being a pain in my ass to get working!! If you could send me a link to the intel pro wireless drivers that would be great!!!

• 2 months later...

I have the same Toshiba notebook, but have run into a couple of problems with installing. For example, as I type it has rested at the "Finishing Installation" stage, while "Running Mac OS X Installer script", & only "About a minute" remaining....... for about a half hour! grrr

Would you mind posting the installation options you used for 10.4.7 as well as 10.4.8? I chose the (obvious) Intel option with SSE3, SSE2, & GMA950 patches.... changed the BIOS accordingly, but...

A thousand thanks!