Boot problems on Seagate 200GB HD

jedavis1

3 posts in this topic

I have a problem... I will try to elaborate... I have installed the JaS 10.4.8 AMD & Intel SSE2 & SSE3 DVD on my system. I have a Via chipset with a Radeon 7600GT Video card. Everything works... When I first installed, I installed to a spare 20GB HD on a SATA2IDE convertor. Everything worked great: AC97 sound, CI/QE Sound good speed on the SATA drive... but I wanted more room. So I put the 20 on the IDE chain and used Carbon Copy Cloner to put copy to a Seagate 200GB HD on the SATA2IDE convertor... it wouldn't boot from that drive. It would boot fine from the 20GB on the IDE, so I reinstalled straight to the 200GB HD and it still wouldn't boot. It won't even get to the darwin boot loader either time. I tried puting the 200GB straight on the IDE chain and same thing... just get a blinking cursor before the darwin boot loader. The funny thing is, if I leave the 20GB hd on and go into the boot options of darwin and type in rd=disk2s1 (the 200GB drive) it will boot from the 200GB drive fine...

What am I missing? Is there a problem with Seagate Drives? Is there something about larger HDs that darwin bootloader doesn't like? Some help would be appreciated. If I missed something on the search, I am sorry... I am drawing a blank as to what to search for... I tried things like Seagate boot problem, seagate large hard drive... they come up with many, many pages and I looked over the first several, but didn't find anything relavent... Thanks for any help.

I had the same problem most people who are doing the tutorials have a smaller hard drive then me. 320GB one.

I got it to install by Part'n it with two 50 GB part'n one NTFS the other fAT 32 i left the back end open and didnt worry about it.

Erased

the second one after i put in windows

now im stuck with about 70% of the drive mac os cant see.

so i went back windows ..................

made it fat32 part''s

now im stuck because mac os cant see it still!

so im screwed but at least final cut works.