The Broadcom57xx is driving me crazy!

kofchina

3 posts in this topic

I'm using a Dell D620 laptop. I installed Jas OSX 10.4.8 on the laptop, now everything is OK but the NIC.

I checked the NIC ID is 1600, so it should be a broadcom 5752 chip. I found a BCM5751 kext file, modified the file (replaced the NIC ID and disabled NVSRAM checksum) and loaded the drivers then reboot the system. After that, I found en0 in the term by using ifconfig, but the media status is "inactive". I set the MAC address manually, and set the IP addr to DHCP, but I could not ping the gateway. Then I tried to set a static IP, still could not ping GW.

Need some help!!

Thank you.

After a *lot* of messing around I finally got my Broadcom 5789 working under JaS 10.4.8.

After editing the plist to include my device ID (169d), and going through the HexEdit process, it started working. There are a few side effects; every time I reboot my network interface number increments by one.

Right now I'm running on en3; next reboot it will be en4, etc. Additionally, there are quite a large number of new PCI interfaces showing in the System Prefs, and each reboot I have to select the newest one (it gets autodetected) and configure the TCP/IP details manually (blank MAC, no DHCP from my DHCP server).

Check this thread out: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=4987

It's what got me through it.