24" iMac and the nVidia 7600

2 posts in this topic

Besides double the VRAM?

I'm a Mac user first and a gamer a very distant second. But I have one game that looked great at Macworld a couple of years ago on a G5 with some high end ati card.

On my MDD with an ati 9600, it looks dull. Frame rates are fine, but the detail is lacking, much less realistic than Macworld.

I took it to an Apple Store and put it on a 24" iMac with a 7300 card. It looked no better than on my 9600. (I have a 9800, but my machine has issues I need to work out someday.)

So I'm wondering what, if anything, I'd get with the 7600? Where would I *see* an improvement, or would I (besides frame rates)?

Besides double the VRAM?

I'm a Mac user first and a gamer a very distant second. But I have one game that looked great at Macworld a couple of years ago on a G5 with some high end ati card.

On my MDD with an ati 9600, it looks dull. Frame rates are fine, but the detail is lacking, much less realistic than Macworld.

I took it to an Apple Store and put it on a 24" iMac with a 7300 card. It looked no better than on my 9600. (I have a 9800, but my machine has issues I need to work out someday.)

So I'm wondering what, if anything, I'd get with the 7600? Where would I *see* an improvement, or would I (besides frame rates)?

The 7300 is a 3 legged dog, the 7600 is a mid-range card, neither is great for games but, the 7600 is ok. Since more and more apps unload processing on the GPU, I'd be very wary of buying a 24" iMac w/ a 7300, in fact I'd consider it completely stupid.