Modern Marvels - 80's Tech (Apple, Woz, Jobs, etc)

3 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone:

I saw watching the History Channel the other day when I saw program, Modern Marvels - 80's Tech. The first segment featured the Computer Revolution of the late 70's and early 80's. The program featured Steve Wozniak ("The Woz") along with Steven Jobs and how they formed Apple Computer.

The part I found the most interesting is that Woz and Jobs wanted to make computers "different" and for "everyday people". Woz made so much money that he sponsored the "US Festival" that merged music and entertainment with showcase of technology. The show appealed to young people, musicians and artists who used technology for creative purposes.

Even after 30 years, Apple doesn't seem too much different. They are still making "different" computers that appeal to everyday people as well as creative types. Only difference now is that Apple seems to be pushing itself into consumer areas (with introduction of iPhone and AppleTV).

What do you think?

Modern Marvels - 80's Tech:

http://www.history.com/shows.do?episodeId=...p;action=detail

US Festival:

http://www.usfestivals.com/

--danyel :)

Personally I think Linux is the OS that's really different for different people. There are literally dozens and dozens of customized versions of it all over the place on all sorts of devices and its only growing in diversity and what/how it is used/for.

The part I found the most interesting is that Woz and Jobs wanted to make computers "different" and for "everyday people".

What do you think?

For "everyday people"? The cost of a Mac in the early 1980s was the equivalent of one year average wages here in Italy.

The real computers for everyday people were the Commodore, which were a lot cheaper.

You are right though, "even after 30 years, Apple doesn't seem too much different": Macs are almost unknown here in Italy, and still very expensive for what they are.