Parallels with triple boot + rEFIt

3 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have had a happily triple booting system using refit on my MBP for a while now and I finally decided to take the plunge with Parallels after reading that it can boot a boot camp install of windows (and possibly my linux installation, with a bit of hacking...)

After installing Parallels and trying to select a boot camp drive as the hard disk for the virtual machine, I get an error message telling me that Boot Camp is not installed. The software itself is installed so I came to the conclusion that it's getting confused by the partition layout or something to that effect.

here's my partition layout:

diskutil list
/dev/disk0
  #:				   type name			   size	  identifier
  0:  GUID_partition_scheme					*111.8 GB disk0
  1:					EFI					200.0 MB  disk0s1
  2:			  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD	   70.0 GB   disk0s2
  3:					EFI					20.0 GB   disk0s3
  4:	 Microsoft Reserved					21.5 GB   disk0s4

I think the problem is that the partitions for linux and windows (3 and 4) are not set to the correct type - I think it should be basic data partition or something to that effect. I'm pretty sure that they were correct at one point (the windows fat32 partition used to show up on my OS X desktop) but I had to play around a bit and use gptsync a few times to get things booting properly for all three systems.

Anyone know how I can change the type and if this will ruin my triple boot situation?

Any help appreciated.

Sounds like you were bitten by the parted bug that sets any partition to the "EFI" type if it's marked as "boot". Try the following:

• Under Linux, run your distributions flavor of parted frontend (e.g. gparted). Remove the 'boot' flag (or whatever it's called) from the Linux partition.
  • Rerun gptsync to get the hybrid GPT/MBR format back in place.

I'm not quite sure what to do about the "Microsoft Reserved" type, though. :-(