Question: How to restore the disk image created through HDutil?

Envying

6 posts in this topic

I have a SATA drive based on Nvidia Chipset, which can't be recognized during installation. All I can do was to install 10.4.8 on my IDE, but sometimes, if I messed around with it, I have to reinstall it again. I am thinking to backup a basic installation with some patches and application, won't be very big.

I have tried to backup the system with Ghost, Arconis, and some other windows wares, but looks like they are not Mac OSX friendly enough to keep the backup image size very compressed and also always took long time to finish it up. I was totally fed up.

Then, somebody mentioned, it can be done with diskutil under OSX, I tried, it did create a good size dmg file and quick enough. Then I kept it under my windows drive. I was trying to boot the system with installation DVD then restore the dmg file to my IDE, it just wouldn't accept your dragging as it mentioned on the screen.

Can anybody give me an idea how to restore my dmg file to the HD and make it bootable afterwards? Real thanks in advance.

Can't you just mount the DMG from the other partition and take the files you need from it?

Yes, I can. But that is based on my OSX is running, if in case it crashes, I have no other way to mount and restore it back...

Hi,

I had the same problem yesterday. Diskutil has a bug which prevents dragging of the target disk to the input field.

I was using Terminal to get my drive restored.

Start Terminal from your installation DVD (Menu "Utilities").

1) List all Volumes: cd /Volumes (You can see all mounted drives in this directory).

2) ls (like "dir" in DOS: list directory)

3) find your way to your DMG file. Note: It seems there are some troubles with sparse DMG, so better use fixed ones.

4) hdiutil mount "pathToImage/imageName.dmg" (Mount the DMG as a volume)

5) ditto /Volumes/NameOfYourMountedImage /Volumes/TargetDiskName (copy all files from mounted DMG to your target partition).

6) Quit Terminal and start Diskutil to repair permissions on the target drive.

This worked for me. If you want to backup your system drive, you can also use "Carbon Copy Cloner", a wonderful tool which is free for personal use.

Hi,

I had the same problem yesterday. Diskutil has a bug which prevents dragging of the target disk to the input field.

I was using Terminal to get my drive restored.

Start Terminal from your installation DVD (Menu "Utilities").

1) List all Volumes: cd /Volumes (You can see all mounted drives in this directory).

2) ls (like "dir" in DOS: list directory)

3) find your way to your DMG file. Note: It seems there are some troubles with sparse DMG, so better use fixed ones.

4) hdutil mount "pathToImage/imageName.dmg" (Mount the DMG as a volume)

5) ditto /Volumes/NameOfYourMountedImage /Volumes/TargetDiskName (copy all files from mounted DMG to your target partition).

6) Start from your DVD and run Diskutil to repair permissions on the target drive.

This worked for me. If you want to backup your system drive, you can also use "Carbon Copy Cloner", a wonderful tool which is free for personal use.

Pal, I will definitely give it a try tonight. Thanks for sharing!