still waiting on root device problem

ChurChing

14 posts in this topic

ive got an amd64x2 with 2 harddrives partitioned into 4 sections (2 each) c and d ntfs for vista, e and f fat32 for mac and a mac/windows share volume.

When I install it says "still waiting on root device" over and over again, :lol: it. I found that this is becuase it cant find the disk to install on. How do I tell it to install on the E drive? Does it have to be hks whatever before I can install? If so whats the best prog to get it that way.

THANKS IN ADVANCE AND SORRY ABOUT THE AMATURE QUESTION - the only mac I ever had was a 16mb ram with something like a 600mb harddrive.... yes... mb harddrive

i've had an old mac like that, read my sig. Can you be a little more specific about your problem? do you have a problem with the installation or do you have a problem with booting? which dvd are you using?

Thanks for the reply. Good sig. Amazing how things change sooooo much over time.

The problem I'm having happens on the install. It goes for a minute or two and then does the "still waiting for root device". I run the install with -v. I'm using osx 10.4.8 JaS w/ sse2, sse3, ppf1, ppf2.

Thanks again! I've been messing with this for over a month now and would love to be able to use osx for graphic design.

I have the exact same DVD and the exact same problem. When the DVD is loading (before install) it starts loading drivers. Right after it gets to the FireWire driver, it reads Still waiting for root device. I started a thread on this already, although it got bumped to page 2.

This problem can be caused by a number of things. Check the wiki and search the forums (using Google, the built in search engine is shoddy). Basically, those running AMD with SATA hard drives have had difficulties with the install seeing the hard drive. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. nForce4 and VIA chipsets seem most affected. There isn't a readily available solution to that problem. Try running the latest ISO release, but you may have to just find an old IDE drive to install on instead.

For those not running AMD SATA, try unplugging all of your extra things. Have one DVD drive and one IDE hard drive hooked up on the same cable and nothing else. If this doesn't work, try adjusting cable position and jumper position for the drives. Some people say you need the hard drive to be master and the DVD to be slave on the same channel for the install to work.

If none of this helps, try searching and the wiki. Good luck.

I'm running an Intel P4 with a SATA drive. Right now I set up a virtual machine in VMWare and set the virtual HD to point to my physical HD. Since it emulates IDE, there's been no problem. It's installing right now as I type this. It's been an hour and it reads 42 minutes remaining. I'll try to boot it (w/o VMWare) after the install and post on whether it's an effective solution or not. 41 minutes remaining. 40 minutes. I'm praying that this'll work, and that all of us plagued with the "Still waiting for root device" can have a plausible solution at last. 38 minutes left, and I'll be back in a couple of hours with hope, or disappointment.

Too bad I'm on a SATA DVD-ROM aswell as my only IDE drive crashing yesterday :P

So unless someone comes up with a way to utilize the SATA chipset on my P5N32-E SLI Plus (nForce 650i + nForce 570 SLI, a.k.a C55 + MCP55), I'm pretty much screwed.

Ok so I changed my FAT32 partition on my IDE to a Ext2 and OSX still can't find it. I get the same problem every time. I took a picture of the screen where it says "still waiting on root device" if anyone wants to look at it and has a clue what it might mean or why it's doing this.

PLEASE HELP!

Thanks!

post-111349-1181081362_thumb.jpg This is the picture of my screen when it gets stuck....

It says there are some USB errors. Do I need to remove some a usb expansion that I added to my asus motherboard?

also whats this SAM multimedia read or write failed? Is that my problem.

• 5 months later...

I had the Sam Read write Stuff going on fixed that by moving ide cables and jumpers it works now with DVD-RW as Master and IDE HDD as Slave not using any sata stuffs, the usb errors i fixed by turning off usb in bios. however its still waiting for root device using Tubgirls 10.4.10 test 1