Can OSx86 effect BIOS and POSTing issues?

blotsome

3 posts in this topic

I'm working with JaS 10.4.8 SSE3 AMD. My system is a home built Athlon 64 X2 4200+, MSI K9VGM-V, onBoard graphics, 1 GB PC6400, Old 115 GB ATA drive. I've been having some booting issues and I was wondering if anyone knows if the OS can do this sort of stuff, or if I should RMA some of the hardware?

Here is basically some of the stuff I have been experiencing. Computer wouldn't post, fans would start up, but there would be no signal to the monitor. This was fixed after I switched the DIMM slot for the memory (or possibly after I rest the BIOS via the battery). System worked ok for a few days, but then the system would post but not boot. I was getting a VMI error. So I tried to rest the BIOS by battery, and that didn't help. Posting was causing a checksum error due to the lack of a floppy drive. I was told to press DEL to go to BIOS, or F1 to continue. If I hit F1, I would get a drive boot VMI error, and if I hit DEL, I would get a blank screen with a flashing cursor. So I unhooked the hard drive, and tried to boot without the drive. This time I could get into BIOS and reset the boot order. After saving and restarting and re-hooking up the hard drive, everything has been fine. But that was only 2 hours ago. I'm not sure if it will fail again or not.

Here is the big catch, the deadline to RMA parts is today. So what should I do? Can running OSX on these parts cause this problem? Should I sent back the MB? I have been in contact with MSI support, and they suggest RMAing the MB, memory, and CPU all at once just to make sure. If I get new parts, should I not run OSX on them to avoid messing them up again (assuming it was the OS that did this, instead of faulty product or faulty installation or static or electrical surge or something else)?

Any advice would be great. Thanks!

Its either your motherboard or PSU. Most likely motherboard. It is not your Memory or CPU. Trust me, I have dealt with enough {censored} like this.

Video Card - the same thing happened to me when I installed video drivers into osx. I tried resetting the CMOS and taking off the battery, but I was still stuck at post error 25. I ended up taking out my video card and trying another and sure enough it worked. I also tried my video card in another computer and it didn't work in theirs. Now I am replacing everything I own because I don't feel like buying another AGP card.